Classifieds shake-up

MartayMcFly

Booooooost
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's about time the classified had an over-haul. I know it wasn't that long ago that the wanted/for sale/sold tags were brought in, and that's helped (when people have stuck to the system) but the general arrangement is still lacking some organisation. The only layout issues are that there should be a dedicated wheels section - genuine or reps, sorted by size (diameter) etc.

Other than that, I think we/you need to start being more strict with the listing guidelines. I'm not saying people are posting things falsely or anything, but there is a clear lack of understanding of where an item should go. Audi Cars should only have wanted/for sale ads for Audi cars. Not OEM parts, not non-OEM parts, and certainly not non-car related things. It's not a difficult system to follow, but people are either being lazy, trying to maximise views or just not able to access the drop down menus bit (possibly an issue with tapatalk users?) that sort where your ad will end up.

Right now, on the Audi Cars page, there are 13/30 ads that shouldn't be there - a private reg, tyres, lights etc - and I reckon it's time to get warnings going, or just cut out all wrongly listed ads (either delete or move them). They should be 1. Audi Cars, 2. Parts for Audi cars (oem or aftermarket), 3. Non-Audi cars and parts, and 4. Non car-related things (TVs, phones etc) to match the titles.

It's not just and OCD thing, it makes it harder for everyone when things aren't in the right places. You either don't see what you've been searching for because you didn't check the Audi Cars page for the wheels you were after, or you take 3 times as long to browse through the ads to find the car you want because you have to skip past ads for dog guards and plasma TVs.

[/rant]

Problem is people are just registering and dump stuff in the classified section, they don't post on the forum or make any contribution and don't care where it's put or if they warned or get banned from the forum.

If you made a minimum post count before been able to post in the classifieds that would solve the problem of the people just advertising anywhere for the sake of it.

But I agree that you have the potential for a really good classifieds section with a little work and thought

If you made a minimum post count before been able to post in the classifieds that would solve the problem of the people just advertising anywhere for the sake of it.

But I agree that you have the potential for a really good classifieds section with a little work and thought
We had that a people were just spamming to get the post count up :(

So enforce a spam doesnt count towards posts. A lot of other forums do that.
Not hard to see someone is doing that, and suspend them, or alter post count etc

I liked the old classifieds section. I barely use this one now, as it has so many quirks, it's just annoying.

I agree with Rom, I find the classifieds very awkward to negotiate and have only used it twice since I joined.

I don't use the classified section on here as it's just far to complex. Wouldn't a standard forum subsection not be simpler to both maintain and browse?

I've found on edition38 that the post count to create a thread in classifieds is way to high. You're not only limited to how many posts you can do per day (IIRC) but you can get banned for spam also.
I've been a member for a good few months now and I would say I'm fairly active and I still haven't exceeded that post count and I find it off putting.

I think a minimal post count of around 50, obviously legit posts not spam, is a very reasonable amount.
And if people fancy spamming then show them the door :)

the system i've used on a previous forum was have 3 sections. Cars for Sale, Parts for Sale and general items.

The parts you could then split into sub catergories for model. Every photo uploaded must have a piece of paper with your user name and date of posting on, so that we know its genuine and in your possession.
Also block replies to the thread, only person that can edit is OP and mods, any interest must be done through PM.

Found it worked quite well and the username cards in photos can stop spamming as people have to take the time to do it and its added reassurance for buyer??

just my thoughts on it.

I will ask admin if there is any movement on the classifieds being tweaked/changed/set fire to.

I've said it numerous times now, always falls on deaf ears, but no matter what system is employed, we need stricter guidelines when items are listed, as per Edition38.

As in, photos must be shown of actual item with a date on a piece of paper or card, a phone number, general area as in town/county so people know where it is roughly, a full description including car fitted too or cars can be fitted too & any part numbers.

This will not only help the buyer & seller, it will help avoid fraud as well & generally make it easier for the forum & people who use the system.

Some of the listings I see on the ebay threads & classifieds are absolutely useless shxt IMHO, if people cant be ***** to make the effort, they shouldnt have access to the system, simple.

I will ask admin if there is any movement on the classifieds being tweaked/changed/set fire to.

that could be the poll options:

a- tweak them
b- change them(to ed38 style)
c- set them on fire

I vote C

Not again, this comes up periodocially and the powers that be then spend squillions on a hack/add in/ thing that doesn't work properly. However, given the users of the classifieds don't delete stuff when they sell them or answer messages, it would seem to be as much admins fault as the end user( in general)

Any chance that posts over say 1 year old are either deleted or locked in the classifieds, people keep reviving sale threads that are years old!

Any chance that posts over say 1 year old are either deleted or locked in the classifieds, people keep reviving sale threads that are years old!
I will try grab some time for a look at it today.

Reactions: 45bvtc and B5NUT

Delete at 30-days from date of entry - same as eBay - and then if the item hasn't been sold or the seller hasn't listed it as sold then the seller can re-list; eBay sure works for me so why not ASN: OK, let's be generous and say 90-days and end of... :whistle2:

Reactions: Jake 61
I always look through the classifieds, but never use them to sell or buy, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Sensible suggestion from @45bvtc above though...?

Reactions: 45bvtc