Clarkson's top fuel saving tips

I use cruise when just cruising by 40-50mph areas, helps keep speeds in check.

Rarely use it on the motorways. It makes me feel bored, then I lose concentration or worse, feel sleepy.

Yup I use it for the same reasons. Them stupid average speed cameras. Comes in handy!

I recently did the test for the Institute of Advanced Motorists and one of they teach a lot of what Clarkson mentioned in that article - in fact it looks as if he has lifted one or two of the directly from the handbook.

I've noticed an improvement in my fuel economy from 500km per tank to about 640-650 just by implementing some of the techniques. I've also noticed that by not driving in the boot of the car ahead and pushing to get past I arrive at the destination at roughly the same time and am more relaxed.

Turn off ESP

Turn off CC if it's not either hot or cold

Don't open windows and have CC on ( windows down will cost you speed and fuel )

Turn off DRL's ( even though i like mine on )

p

lol not sure you would really notice the differance with the DRL's on or not !

Other tips are good common sense though !

Richard

Turn off ESP

p

Id rather loose the fuel. ;)

windows down will cost you speed and fuel

Depends on what speed your doing. If your doing below 50mph, its more economical having the windows down. Above that speed and your better off with the AC on and windows up.

On one of the random bits of 'the news' on an old top gear episode I remember them talking about Audi's DRL's and that they use less fuel than other cars. So they called up to see how much fuel normal lights use and they said that the amount was so small that they couldn't calculate it!

On one of the random bits of 'the news' on an old top gear episode I remember them talking about Audi's DRL's and that they use less fuel than other cars. So they called up to see how much fuel normal lights use and they said that the amount was so small that they couldn't calculate it!

That's one good thing about the newer LED-based DRLs. They consume such little power it will hardly make an impact to fuel economy.

Just been reading the comments on the Top Gear page:

In the news broadcasts in America, they say it's not worth turning off your air-conditioning while driving because it will save only 1 mile per gallon. And the A/C is not connected to the gas, some Americans have proved that was a myth otherwise. What say you, Mr. Clarkson?

Oh yeah, I don't have a Prius :)
Yoshmeister

Are Merikans really that dumb and/or illiterate?

Today I was early commuting to work (mixed 60 mile trip with central london, motorway and B-roads) so I decided to go on eco mode...

Guess what? took me only an extra 10 minutes to get there and got 38!!!! mpg average!! Coming back from work did more or less the same... Gutted only got 36mph!!

That is great! My average was 27mpg usually and givi it beans 22 so I am well pleased... and it is also stress free... Rush hour is not the best to enjoy the power of the S3 so I am saving money and the car...

Also saw a black TTS and... it looks so much better than the standard TT! Shame the price and the lack of exclusivity, specially has soon as Audi launches the 1.8TFSi and the diesel versions....

Pedro

Turn off ESP

p

How does ESP use extra fuel???? It doesn't do anything unless you thrash the car and then all it does is throttle down a bit or apply a bit of braking on one or two wheels if you you lose traction.

How does ESP use extra fuel???? It doesn't do anything unless you thrash the car and then all it does is throttle down a bit or apply a bit of braking on one or two wheels if you you lose traction.

Eveything electric in/on the car uses fuel........so the less electric gadgets you have on the more fuel you will save.

Granted it's not gonna be a huge saving , but thats not the point of the thread. :icon_thumright:

p

hmmm

Electronics powered by the alternator
Alternator permanently connected to the engine
alternator in/out seperated by magnetic field, so no friction as such

How does electronic equipment consume more fuel?

hmmm

Electronics powered by the alternator
Alternator permanently connected to the engine
alternator in/out seperated by magnetic field, so no friction as such

How does electronic equipment consume more fuel?

I'm no tech/mech , but i know enough to know that you need fuel to power the engaine ( even a car on tick over will run out of fuel sooner or later ) which in turn powers the alternator,which in turn powers electrics/electronics.

So if you don't have electrics on ,the alterator will be off/do less work thus consuming less fuel, and power.

Example two brand new cars with a full tank of fuel , both tickover at 1k revs, CAR A has headlights on, heating fans on , stereo on , heated seats on , satnav on , ESP on , while CAR B has no electrics on.

CAR A will run out of fuel first.....fact!

p

Has Jeremy been eavesdropping on our forum? It seems we covered some of these topics back in February: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=51715

On a side note - does anybody else think it would make a good feature on TG if they were to introduce a "how far can you get on a litre of petrol" segment where they give a "celebrity" a litre of fuel and see how far round the track they can get? I'm sure that would satisfy some of the tree huggers out there.

Okay, I apologize in advance sorry for the long rant but here we go:

Yeah, yeah yeah, I understand that there are electronics behind ESP that need to be powered and that ultimately all power in a car comes from fuel (I have a degree in electronics, and I'm not stupid), but come on... This sort of electronics uses very little power and you would have a very hard time to measure any difference in fuel consumption.

Next to the engine the largest power consumption in any car comes from aircon and headlights. The rest is peanuts. Remember the TG episode where Jeremy Clarkson drives the A8 to Scotland and back on one tank of fuel? He switches off things like aircon but specifically mentions that switching off the radio would make no difference since it uses so little power. Now I could be wrong, but I expect the controller boxes for stuff like ESP to use less power (a lot less!) than the radio.

Suppose, worse case scenario, the power consumptions of all electronics in a car put together is 100 watts (which I assure you is not even close, it'll be closer to 10 or 20 watts). My 2.0FSI produces 115KW. The consumption of the electronics would then be 0.09% of the total power. That would be compared to the engine under full load, so for the sake of argument I'll multiply by 10: It is still only 0.9%. Put your foot down once and you've used way more fuel than all electronics put together.

Having said all this I would like to make one exception: High end, show worthy ,audio installations. They can be a few K Watt (when cranked up all the way). So if you have such an installation and drive from London to Glasgow and back with the radio at full volume, blasting two thousand watts of death metal directly at your eardrums, you may find a slight increase in fuel consumption. But then, with your ears ruined and a terminal case of tinnitus, the tiny increase in fuel consumption would be the least of your problems.

On a side note - does anybody else think it would make a good feature on TG if they were to introduce a "how far can you get on a litre of petrol" segment where they give a "celebrity" a litre of fuel and see how far round the track they can get? I'm sure that would satisfy some of the tree huggers out there.

Somehow I dont think that they care much about tree huggers!

Okay, I apologize in advance sorry for the long rant but here we go:

Yeah, yeah yeah, I understand that there are electronics behind ESP that need to be powered and that ultimately all power in a car comes from fuel (I have a degree in electronics, and I'm not stupid), but come on... This sort of electronics uses very little power and you would have a very hard time to measure any difference in fuel consumption.

Next to the engine the largest power consumption in any car comes from aircon and headlights. The rest is peanuts. Remember the TG episode where Jeremy Clarkson drives the A8 to Scotland and back on one tank of fuel? He switches off things like aircon but specifically mentions that switching off the radio would make no difference since it uses so little power. Now I could be wrong, but I expect the controller boxes for stuff like ESP to use less power (a lot less!) than the radio.

Suppose, worse case scenario, the power consumptions of all electronics in a car put together is 100 watts (which I assure you is not even close, it'll be closer to 10 or 20 watts). My 2.0FSI produces 115KW. The consumption of the electronics would then be 0.09% of the total power. That would be compared to the engine under full load, so for the sake of argument I'll multiply by 10: It is still only 0.9%. Put your foot down once and you've used way more fuel than all electronics put together.

Having said all this I would like to make one exception: High end, show worthy ,audio installations. They can be a few K Watt (when cranked up all the way). So if you have such an installation and drive from London to Glasgow and back with the radio at full volume, blasting two thousand watts of death metal directly at your eardrums, you may find a slight increase in fuel consumption. But then, with your ears ruined and a terminal case of tinnitus, the tiny increase in fuel consumption would be the least of your problems.

Agree with everything your saying my mate, we are talking very small amounts of fuel.

p

Somehow I dont think that they care much about tree huggers!

I know... ahaha tree huggers that probably fly all over the world!!!!
Sure we have to care about the environment....

But... The fact of me not getting on a plane makes a big inconvenience on my life... and in the end the plane still flies as planned.

Also chelsea tractors... well not banning them but do you really need a big SUV in London? Because if it is because it is safer, etc, etc maybe we all should get the tractor of a trans european HVG... if you ask me... SUV in London are a fashion icon... most of the owners don't really do any activities where an SUV could be usefull....

Just be sensible with the environment... separate your rubish and don't waste energy and we all be fine... But drive whatever you like as long as it is proper...

Pedro