Civic type r dead...

jdas03

Reaction score
Saw on top gear site that from October there will be no more type r civics!
Apparently it's because of the new emissions laws!
What are your thoughts, anyone owned one?
Any more good cars you think might go because this emission laws?

Own EP3 Civic at the moment but selling to get A4 Avant.

I've owned a EK9 and DC5 before and think they're great engines. Not much else gives you performance and running costs of a Type R.

If they made a Type R estate I'd get one with out a doubt

Had an EP3 (52 plate) CTR.

Very good car, tough, fun, reliable, economical and good looking.
Brilliant gearbox.
**** cabin.
Guzzles oil, eats back tyres.

One of the best hot hatches around IMO.
I get to drive one still as my bro has just bought one.

Yep had a FN2 new shape..owned it for about 11months and someone writ me off! Funny thing was I was driving to a delaer to look at other cars. Great sounding engine but absolutely no torque...cabin was a huge improvement on the ep3 although it didn't feel as hardcore to drive. Would I own one again? NO!.

Back to original topic about it being dead...I hope for Hondas sake they move from their naurally aspirated 4pot philosophy and start turbo charging their type-r's..they seem to have been blown out of the park these last few years by every other manufacturer.

I test drove an FN2 last year and it was great fun! It felt pretty lively at lowish speeds despite the lack of torque. But on faster roads, you had to proper rev the hell out of it to overtake. I was in 3rd gear at 50mph and overtaking felt sluggish. Down back country roads was amazing! All I needed was second gear and it cornered so well! I would probably buy one, if it wasn't so uncomfy! I could probably stand the stiffness of the suspension once in a while, but I think even the A3 sports suspension is too stiff!

It's a crying shame as it means the greenie whiners have won over again and as a result they have killed a car off with quite some status :0(

Mind you after driving a couple I don't actually think the are quite as iconic as their hype would suggest. Don't get me wrong they are quickish and the handling is lovely but they just don't seem to get a shuffle on as I would expect. If I was parting with my own hard earned it would go on a Mk1 Focus RS or a Seat Leon Cupra R.

Mind you with them being killed off the used prices should start to climb

Yer its not good, i have never owned one but always respected them, shame to see them go!
Think we will start to see less of the german power houses too? S and RS divisions to suffer?

I used to own a 02 ep3 was an awsome car Loved driving it always put a smile on my face, people say no torque but as long as you on the limiter then there quick cars who needs torque when you got vtec. Just bought an a3 2.0tdi :? its ok bit boring