Chrome look trim on doors

Andebures

Reaction score
Hi, I've just recently got a 2006 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE in silver and am pleased with it, but have noticed when I picked up the car from the dealer that the 'chrome' trim between the doors and windows were discoloured with a mottled look compared to the proper chrome trim on the roof line. The Salesperson at the garage said that they had queried this with Audi UK with a view to replacing the trim under warranty. Apparently they have changed the material on later models. Audi said that the car had been washed with the wrong kind of cleaning fluid and was not prepared to change them. The cost to me of replacing it is £120 a door. When car has rain on it you cannot see it, hence when I took the car for the test drives I didn't notice it.
Has anyone else noticed this on their car? If so, what reaction have you had from Audi?

I looked at a Cab at a dealer with a similar problem. This had what looked like water marks all over the chrome but they wouldn’t rub off. And on the cab you have a large piece of chrome all around the wind screen. This would have driven me mad.

If I were you I would go back to the dealer and complain that you didn’t see it when the car was wet and you would like them replaced. Don’t feel bad about moaning at the dealer that what you pay a premium on the car for. I have bought several user cars from dealers and everyone I have had to go back (more than once) with for one problem or another. Every time the dealers were helpful and put the problems right with out too much fuss at all. It’s in there interest to keep their customers happy.

Failing that you should have a 30 day 1000 mile you could threaten to give the car back, but I really doubt you would have to do that.

Hi gjwell, thanks for the reply. I will probably contact Audi directly to start with and see what they think. If not, I will complain to the dealer. I expect the dealer won't want to do anything to start with in case it costs them money. But as you say though, you pay a premium for buying from them.