chrome galore........

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're pernickety about whats cool and whats not - LCR splitters remind me of the time when every tom & **** had laguna splitters on their corsa. IMHO they are the lexus lights of VAG world, especially badly fitted ones . Its not cool running 40 self tappers into an S3 bumper to fit an ill fitting SEAT part in my humble opinion. While most of us like OEM+ the LCR spltter is OEM-.

Alright mate your opinion, I'm well aware some people like and some hate lcr splitters. Comparing them to lexus lights is a bit much! I think I used 10 self tappers too..........
Anyway back on subject I've seen people use chrome trim on the grill before and not get any stick for it? Its not to my taste nut also I don't think it looks that bad?

The LCR splitter is fiunctional IMO....i dont tend to do much non OEM but the cut off under the front bumper looks total gash...the subtle LCR splitter does a good job of covering that whilst remaining 'subtle'

maybe if the splitter were colour coded, they would look ok, but i have not seen one yet that looks oem,
ive painted my lip under the bumper black and its dissapeared.... personal choice at the end of the day,

I must say you have handled this thread very well. It's not to my taste but at the end of the day, it's your car and you can paint it cow print if you so wish! You paid for it, so you enjoy it :)

Stacey

OE = Original Equipment or standard looking basically = That is my reckoning too, but judging from what I read on these forums you would be very hard pressed to find one. From silicon pipes to uprated haldex controllers to non standard alloys, so please don't delude us all by saying OE all the way as I can guess most people reading that would have given you a huge cheer !

I'm not attempting to 'delude' anyone. I'm simply saying that, for me, OE looks better than modified. In every way. In my opinion, the image that driving a cosmetically modified car portrays is that of a buffoon. I'm not saying that everyone that modifies their car in this way IS a buffoon, just lots of people will assume you are, is all.

I own a completely original, well maintained Nogaro blue 8L S3. The last thing I'd do is attempt to 'improve' it's aethetics by attaching cheap tat to various parts of it's exterior. The only folk who might be impressed by that are the car park wheelspin club.

superkarl - I get that the audi S3 is understated car, but your comments belong in a class similar to the other one I got before...."OE , all the way" with a similar answer.

golf - Yes, I am trying to make my car stand out a little bit from the rest of the S3 moulds (don't you all ?) - I think a bit and in my own unique way showing my influences. I tried to be subtle, but that's just not possible even when dealing with a single piece of chrome. My influences are these other cars I see on the road and take note and I personally find attractive. OK, the look on my car may seem disgusting to those 'in the know, S3 enthusiast's', but I still don't believe to everyone. I'm not trying to replicate any one of them and I think I am careful and thoughtful where I put them. Chavy, as far as I am concerned, would be if I had chrome coming out of every crevis. Indeed, in the spirit of true 'chaviness' it is a bit on the blingy side so in that respect you could class it as a bit chavvy - if you want to label it. Do I care...not. I'm still :).

Purple Princess - thanks for you comment, but are you saying sticking a bit of chrome is as shocking as a cow print paintwork ? cow print paintwork is a serious amount of defacing going on there and quite rightly should be slagged down and wow - guess what, it wouldn't be chavvy !
I can see where your coming from looking at the TT in your pic - obviously another dechromer, but I would say it's a sin to dechrome the Audi badge - maybe it's just a library picture - I don't know.

I am not sure exactly what an individual is trying to say when he dechromes Audi badges ? After all, it has been said, the S3 is an unassuming/understated 'wolf in sheeps clothing' as standard. So are you trying to get noticed ? not get noticed ? show something to other S3 owners.....what ? confuse others who are not so clued up - is that an Audi ? or wow that looks nice - he's dechromed the audi badge ? or is it.......don't look at me I'm shy ? - that's a reference to a comedy in case some didn't get that last one !

What is it - I just don't understand ? Obviously there must be a reason behind this and I am open to understanding it.

I'm not attempting to 'delude' anyone. I'm simply saying that, for me, OE looks better than modified. In every way. In my opinion, the image that driving a cosmetically modified car portrays is that of a buffoon. I'm not saying that everyone that modifies their car in this way IS a buffoon, just lots of people will assume you are, is all.

I own a completely original, well maintained Nogaro blue 8L S3. The last thing I'd do is attempt to 'improve' it's aethetics by attaching cheap tat to various parts of it's exterior. The only folk who might be impressed by that are the car park wheelspin club.

Yes LeeH, I was careful and thoughtful on what I wrote in the post and you missed the important last sentence of that paragraph........"So I am just making a point about your remark. Apologies for those who genuinely do keep their cars in complete standard form and maintain them as such. "

So you are obviously and quite clearly not one of the deluded ones out there as you obviously fall into the 'original-unmodified' camp - which is absolutely fine, but as I have already said you must be in a very small minority from what I read on these forums.

btw, OE is not just attempts to 'improve' the aethetics by attaching cheap tat to various parts of it's exterior. Or are you just targeting your own specific area to keep OE -in which case we are just going around in circles ?

Last edited:
looking at the pictures posted by S3 Hoggy reminded me that I took some pictures 2 years ago at whipsnade zoo. And before you all start again, I have removed the vertical chrome strips on the lower spolier since then. I did have pictures of the rear too, but it was incomplete at the time (no chrome plate holder and had extra chrome around the lower section just above the exhaust - so it's bit unfair to show. I will post some more when the car gets out next.
I wish I was a dab hand with photoshop and I would put the chrome mirros on to. Give the car a good chrome balance.
Pa280274.jpg

omg ...

02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely f**ked it - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros

your on your own with that shot.....:shutup2:

Last edited:
mate if it were straight it would be a tragedy.......it looks like Hanible Lecter chewing gum!!

btw, OE is not just attempts to 'improve' the aethetics by attaching cheap tat to various parts of it's exterior. Or are you just targeting your own specific area to keep OE -in which case we are just going around in circles ?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here mate. "btw, OE is not just attempts to 'improve' the aethetics by attaching cheap tat to various parts of it's exterior" - is that a question or a statement?

OE = as the car left the factory.

Are you saying that Audi have dressed the car up with 'tat' from the factory to make it more aesthetically pleasing? Well in some respects that's true. Infact it's true of any high performance model. The thing that makes that perfectly fine is that it left the factory that way. It's the way it's supposed to be.

looking at the pictures posted by S3 Hoggy reminded me that I took some pictures 2 years ago at whipsnade zoo. And before you all start again, I have removed the vertical chrome strips on the lower spolier since then. I did have pictures of the rear too, but it was incomplete at the time (no chrome plate holder and had extra chrome around the lower section just above the exhaust - so it's bit unfair to show. I will post some more when the car gets out next.
I wish I was a dab hand with photoshop and I would put the chrome mirros on to. Give the car a good chrome balance.
Pa280274.jpg

Shoot me... shoot me now....!!!!

<tuffty/>

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here mate. "btw, OE is not just attempts to 'improve' the aethetics by attaching cheap tat to various parts of it's exterior" - is that a question or a statement?

OE = as the car left the factory.

No, that's what I thought you meant - standard from the factory, it's just that you went on to be specific about cheap tat to various parts of the exterior (obviously having a dig at me-fair enough the chrome is cheap) and in your own words it's everything else too. So if I can also legitemately add to that. Non standard alloys, lowering kits, big brakes, dechroming - are all tat (in your opinion) albeit not cheap ones. So please don't just isolate my tat. So make a statement like..... you hate it when people start making their cars something different to how they came out of the factory.

1animal1, Hanibal Lecter chewing gum - yeh I do see what you mean. But I did say I removed the verticle chrome strips from the lower spoiler - so it's now more like hanibal Lecters empty open mouth.

Last edited:
Goal - I wasn't specifically having a dig at your car. Not at all. I was simply generalizing.

It's a tricky subject this modifying lark. Basically I find modifications to improve the performance of the car fine. Be it brakes, suspension, engine/turbocharger changes and modifications. I'm all for that. It's what interests me. Moreso on a track-only toy as opposed to a fast road car. These modifications all make the car more pleasing to drive. Better in almost every respect. A sacrifice of this is that you generally alter the appearance of the car. Function over form. You're not trying to make a fashion statement, you're aiming to make a better machine.

If my S3 was an older, tattier model that wasn't worth more than £5000 I'd be getting stuck in with a big turbo conversion most likely, and the supporting mods that go with it. this would invariably change the look of the car somewhat. But then it also woudn't be my daily driver. It would be a project car used more on the track than the road.

superkarl -

Purple Princess - thanks for you comment, but are you saying sticking a bit of chrome is as shocking as a cow print paintwork ? cow print paintwork is a serious amount of defacing going on there and quite rightly should be slagged down and wow - guess what, it wouldn't be chavvy !
I can see where your coming from looking at the TT in your pic - obviously another dechromer, but I would say it's a sin to dechrome the Audi badge - maybe it's just a library picture - I don't know.

OM ACTUAL GOD ITS AN R8!!!!! NOT A TT thats it, you lose no more sticking up for you!! lol

Stacey

well, there you go - point made - didn't even recognise it. Only joking I should have taken a second look - at my age my eyesight is begining to fail me hence the chrome to recognise my car in the car park.

Anyway, I was expecting the comment that my car should stay where it is - behind bars !

I normally try and stick to "if you can't say anything nice keep your mouth shut" but that pic looks bad :uhm:

well here's a slightly cropped picture for the hannibal lecter crowd..

image1-1.jpg

Oh but that really is bad . my head is spinning :jump:is it so bad .

I would put the chrome mirros on to. Give the car a good chrome balance.
Pa280274.jpg

lol

chrome mirrors, yea, they will help add to its 'look'

you going for chrome door locks too? wheels with spinners? It would complement the design style ethos you are following I am sure.

keep up the good work.

is it bird, is it a plane, no it's a small spider (if you can see it) sitting in my chrome aerial...
P8120518.jpg

tuftybloke, welly's already brain dead....obviously.

badger5, No I don't want to over do it ! Although the late S3 chrome repeaters kinda look nice.

lol

chrome mirrors, yea, they will help add to its 'look'

you going for chrome door locks too? wheels with spinners? It would complement the design style ethos you are following I am sure.

keep up the good work.

:lmfao:..... Gets back up off floor, looks at Bill's replay again and :lmfao:

Poor S3 :(

To think there's a nice car hiding under that chrome somewhere... :(

There is pretty much a nice example of an OE car under all that weight of chrome. I must try and find some virginal pictures.

Anyway that chrome is expensive on ebay - was cheaper at Lidl.

Edit: And here they are feast your eys on a totally standard S3 - pre chrome days
Image1-2.jpg
image2-1.jpg

really exciting - seen one good example seen many.

Last edited:
I particularly like the headlights....

I think the gap at the top of the headlights needs some brows fitting....... actual hairy brows, blonde ones!!

Can i mention something positive here..... at least with all that chrome weighing it down you won't have to lower it :)

There is pretty much a nice example of an OE car under all that weight of chrome. I must try and find some virginal pictures.

Anyway that chrome is expensive on ebay - was cheaper at Lidl.

Edit: And here they are feast your eys on a totally standard S3 - pre chrome days
Image1-2.jpg
image2-1.jpg

really exciting - seen one good example seen many.
Keep it like that and add chrome mirrors if you must, and some chrome alloys??
you keep mentioning you are knocking on a bit, whats your age if that is not to rude?
it may explain your chromeiness?? as cars had a lot more chrome back in the day......

im thinking a car chandelier would look perfect in this car, it would really complete the expensive car look i think your trying to achieve.

hey why havent you got chrome wipers?! i honestly never intend to offend anyone, but seriously!? you cant honestly, actually be serious? if you had a lower post count i would honestly think your some kid having a laugh. that chrome on your s3 reminds me of when you see fat girls wearing stripy tops to take attention away from the flubber!! or when a guy grows a HUGE fanny tickler to hide a mole under his nose!! looks like your drawing attention from something! lol

please hurry and take a pic of the rear of your car, the front is THAT bad, i cant honestly wait to see the rear.

on a side note, MASSIVE respect for how well you take criticism, you must be a politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.