chrome galore........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love chrome so long as it fit in well.

My 2ps worth:

The rears look like a cowboy job and I feel quite sorry for the light. Honestly, the visible end of the stip really isn't a clean finish to the job so with that respect I say it doesn't work.

The strip on the front bottom grill looks like it might be peeling already and the water stains (i guess) appear to hightlight the texture more on the plastic/chrome strip. Again the finish isn't ideal based on what I see.

I haven't ruled out the top grill yet so am waiting for more pics to come.

I echo others thought in that it's your car so do as you please.

There is no need to convince anyone as you aren't seeking approval.

Don't really want to start the car, get it on the road, take a few pics and put it back in. Hopefully soon. It would also be interesting to compare the rear end of both our S3's in a similar picture. As I have the chrome surrounding the rear lights complimenting the audi chrome badge and the chrome number plate surround - those I will not be removing.

No problem pal I'll post up a pic of the rear of mine tonight

If that's what you want to do then that's fine, but please do it to BMW's or Mercs!!!

J

there is a time and a place but you seem deluded in your comments in that i get the feeling you expect us all to change our minds when we see the whole car....feel free to post pics - i would consider myself very open minded, yet still think im gonna be witnessing an abortion.... i would lay money on it

good effort but it simply does not work...... for anybody except you - which some diplomatic idiot will no doubt pipe up and say 'thats what counts' blah blah

No problem pal I'll post up a pic of the rear of mine tonight

I thought of comparing with the picture in your signature. It's ******* with rain today - S3 not coming out. I was planning on taking the exact same picture.

With regards to the other comments: you are not going to see the detail of the chrome surround as it turns and the water marks will not be visible when it's on the road ! The peeling may be an issue if it's bad it would be in bad taste (ha ha, I'm sure).
And I'm also the first to point out looking at the rear chrome light surround picture it does look cowboyish...but when you step back and see the whole rear..I think it works.

Last edited:
front could look ok but them lights are nasty in my opinion.

need to see the front further back to make my full assessment tho lol at least u enjoy it though mate thats teh main thing

Before...
ugly-betty.jpg

After....
ugly-betty.jpg

Soz mate... S3 purist...

<tuffty/>

I thought of comparing with the picture in your signature. It's ******* with rain today - S3 not coming out. I was planning on taking the exact same picture.

With regards to the other comments: you are not going to see the detail of the chrome surround as it turns and the water marks will not be visible when it's on the road ! The peeling may be an issue if it's bad it would be in bad taste (ha ha, I'm sure).
And I'm also the first to point out looking at the rear chrome light surround picture it does look cowboyish...but when you step back and see the whole rear..I think it works.

I have to say not for me, but if you like it, what the hell.

Also i would like to congratulate you for keeping the debate non personal and reasoned, many thanks !!

and to think you reckoned my s3 looks pimpish in the day with dark grey wheels and and grey grill surround, and black windows? My windows are standard factory tint! I would say what you have done to yours makes it 100 times more pimpish than mine, but like I said its each to their own, but just don't get the a**e when people give you their true opinion, thats why you asked what we all thought in the first place. You obviously think it makes the car look better, and that is fair play to you mate, your car

Hmmmmm, as long as you like it fair does.

Not my cup of tea by a long way mind!

and to think you reckoned my s3 looks pimpish in the day with dark grey wheels and and grey grill surround, and black windows? My windows are standard factory tint! I would say what you have done to yours makes it 100 times more pimpish than mine, but like I said its each to their own, but just don't get the a**e when people give you their true opinion, thats why you asked what we all thought in the first place. You obviously think it makes the car look better, and that is fair play to you mate, your car

Ok, I'll retract that yours isn't pimpish. That was probably a bit too harsh, but you've gone to the extreme with everything black and yet you didn't receive any negative comments. I thought you blacked out your windows - I couldn't tell looking at the picture. It does tend to look on this board that black galore on cars is the way forward for this generation and there were quite a few people thinking about going the same way !

I suppose when thinking about it mine does appear to be heading the pimpish way. A true pimp would probably have chrome strips everywhere possible as well as a lot of other mods. I am no way near that stage....and as I have said I will probably remove a 'little bit' agreeing that I have probably got a bit carried away.

btw, I am not getting the a**e about anything. I am enjoying putting my arguments across and I do understand some of the useful comments being posted. Bring it on ! And finally it's certainly true what they say that beauty is defintely in the eye of each beholder.

I don't quite think there has been one single positive comment which is fair enough - I posted it to take the comments good and bad. I am a grown up I can take it ! I will try hard to keep a lookout for all those people pointing at my car either in shock/horror and/or laughing next time I'm out.

Just to stir this pot a bit more.....have you seen my short stubby chrome aerial (although it's not completely chrome) !

Last edited:
i wish there were more 'posters' like you goal...... a lot of people would have got the **** a long time ago :)

wondering how many £ the car is devalued now, for every cm of stick on chrome

next.. air Ride?

There is a local to me Astra which also looks like it drove thru the local Halfords window and everything from the ripspeed stand stuck to it. lol

do are doing a grand job tho fella.. keep it up.. this is making me laff doign such a great job of defacing what audi intended.. hehe

....I will try hard to keep a lookout for all those people pointing at my car either in shock/horror and/or laughing next time I'm out....

If you get stuck mate drive past my place and I'll get a load of lined up for yah ;P

In fairness to you mate, you have taken everything on the chin well... respect to that... as Tim said a lot of peeps would get their **** out by now.... we are a friendly bunch really... honest guv... :)

<tuffty/>

Man I must be getting old (32). These days I genuinely feel despair when I see a car's appearance modified, particularly a model I'm a fan of. OE all the way.

there's no worries about the strips coming off easily without leaving an marks - it's not actually on any metal and so I haven't done a permanate damage. Surely your not the type of people to go in and see a house full of crap furniture or a bad arrangement of it and refuse to buy it ?
I haven't run through any Hlafords store - it was lidl and only purchased a role of chrome strip !
As standard there was a chrome surround on the top grill and all i did was do the same with the lower grill. Then with the standard chrome Audi badge (and I think it's personally sacrilegeto darken!) I put some vertical strips to compliment the badge. Matched that with a new chrome surround number plate - and that's it for the front....Oh, but I really have gone completely mad and raided the entire junk store !
The rear has the same chrome no. plate and the chrome surrounding the lens and I say again I agree the angle of the original photo does make it look cheap and nasty, but when looking at it from the rear with the chrome audi badge it does not look that bad and actually very complimetary to the overall look at the back......well ,that's what I think in my 'apparently' warped mind ....:)

there's no worries about the strips coming off easily without leaving an marks - it's not actually on any metal and so I haven't done a permanate damage. Surely your not the type of people to go in and see a house full of crap furniture or a bad arrangement of it and refuse to buy it ?
I haven't run through any Hlafords store - it was lidl and only purchased a role of chrome strip !
As standard there was a chrome surround on the top grill and all i did was do the same with the lower grill. Then with the standard chrome Audi badge (and I think it's personally sacrilegeto darken!) I put some vertical strips to compliment the badge. Matched that with a new chrome surround number plate - and that's it for the front....Oh, but I really have gone completely mad and raided the entire junk store !
The rear has the same chrome no. plate and the chrome surrounding the lens and I say again I agree the angle of the original photo does make it look cheap and nasty, but when looking at it from the rear with the chrome audi badge it does not look that bad and actually very complimetary to the overall look at the back......well ,that's what I think in my 'apparently' warped mind ....:)

i think your still missing the point, by adding chrome you are taking away from the existing subtle lines of the car..... if the car had chrome in vast amounts alreay (as in the BM which has full chrome bumpers) then you may have more license for error - as it stands you have added probably 80% more chrome to a car that most consider to be already too chromed up! take a look at most shows and even the newer Audi's with the black surrounds.....this should tell you something

Hurts my eyes....

But then my front end needs a respray so what do I know..

i think your still missing the point, by adding chrome you are taking away from the existing subtle lines of the car..... if the car had chrome in vast amounts alreay (as in the BM which has full chrome bumpers) then you may have more license for error - as it stands you have added probably 80% more chrome to a car that most consider to be already too chromed up! take a look at most shows and even the newer Audi's with the black surrounds.....this should tell you something

Ok fair enough it's 80% more - it does sound such a high figure and makes me think of those pictures posted of complete chrome cars, but i just do not see it that bad, but my thinking it's complimentary (warped ?) I haven't been to any shows so didn't know it was in vogue at the moment. All I see are the other cars around me when I am driving and some late/new models, be it Fords and Audi's to name but 2 and they really do stand out a lot more especially against a gunmetal/black or dark paint work. I do have an open mind and if I saw one which was totally dechromed and looked stunning I would say, but I haven't really seen many on the roads or maybe I haven't noticed them ! so I may just be converted when the mases switch. And I take on board one of the posts which mentioned that the chrome strips are cheap and nasty and on closup inspection - thay are I agree (shock-horror!).

Oh thinking about it I have seen the odd Audi TT dechromed and I must admit it didn't look too bad and nothing special, but then again I have seen an Audi RS TT convertible light blue and quite a bit of chrome around it (looked standard ? maybe he added a chrome roll bar ?) and I thought that really stood out - and to be fair it may have been the shape of the car, but i do try and imagine what it would have looked like totally dechromed.

So overall I am not a fan of total dechroming especially if you have a very dark car to begin with. If it's a light grey or ferrari red car - then maybe it will not look too bad and be complimentary to the rest of the car, but not with dark or colour coded alloys. In the same way you find what I have done is abhorant then I feel the same with the total dechrome look.

someone mentioned OE all the way...I presume that means unless it happens to improve the speed of your car or make it handle better ? But I suppose you may see the OE as meaning something else ?

Last edited:
It isnt that bad! I mean the rear lights dont do it for me, of course everybody has different opinions.. But the front in my opinion, if you got rid of the bottom vertical chrome strips on the bottom grill then i reckon it would be quite alright. IF you ever do take some chrome off, try that and show us some pics matey, i think that would look pretty decent? unless theres more chrome elsewhere?

Jo - your a chav really, deep down :moa:

I had actually taken the vertical strips off that you mention yesterday morning after much thought on how to to tone it down a bit and yet still make the chrome flow through the front. Having the front grille only chromed up may just look a bit unbalanced henced I need chrome mirrors in future and the chrome surround around the lower spoiler...and maybe around the front light units (if I can). BTW, I am using the very thin strips (looks big in pics) so from a distance it's just like a touch of silver lining.

OE = Original Equipment or standard looking basically = That is my reckoning too, but judging from what I read on these forums you would be very hard pressed to find one. From silicon pipes to uprated haldex controllers to non standard alloys, so please don't delude us all by saying OE all the way as I can guess most people reading that would have given you a huge cheer ! And furthermore don't misunderstand what I am saying - some of those upgrades do genuinely enhance the car in certain ways. So I am just making a point about your remark. Apologies for those who genuinely do keep their cars in complete standard form and maintain them as such.

Jo-Jo, nice laughable support unless you have the vision to see past and beyond the pics posted. Hell, even I have a bit of a cringing feeling just looking at those pics I posted in isolation. Really tacky would be to use the foil paper from the Kit-Kat wrapper I just ate as my strips ! The top grille pic didn't turn out too bad - I think, in my eyes, the stone chips and water stains around the paint work & chrome detract, but they are not visible when you stand back.

I will post some pics soon.

Here you are pal

Pic of the front de-chromed with black tape (has been sprayed mat black now)

DSC_0191-1.jpg

and a pic of the back

DSC_0697-1.jpg

be good if you would compare

The 6 series looks "WELL GANGSTA!".... Regards to the "blinging" s3 not really my cuppa, but hey if you like it......Just a quick question.....How come you need an excuse to drive the s3??

If we're pernickety about whats cool and whats not - LCR splitters remind me of the time when every tom & **** had laguna splitters on their corsa. IMHO they are the lexus lights of VAG world, especially badly fitted ones . Its not cool running 40 self tappers into an S3 bumper to fit an ill fitting SEAT part in my humble opinion. While most of us like OEM+ the LCR spltter is OEM-.

S3 Hoggy, Your car does look looks extremely nice and gets a definite 2 thumbs up from me. It's Subtle, nice, tasteful and all blends in and not overly done. The dechroming comes across in a positive manner. I'm not 100% sure looking at the pics, but I presume those are chrome mirrors ? If I wanted to go for a dechrome look I would probably do exactly the same. Keeping the badge and mirrors in chrome.

I don't care how shiny and mint people's car are, if you dechrome everything (which I have now repeated like 100 times !) the audi badges and alloys and get rid of the chrome mirros then I don't care in which 'perfectly lighted' motor show I see it - it won't be anything outside on the daily road. And I am surprised not a single person has agreed with me on that point - but again it may be a generation thing.

S3 Hoggy, the picture of the back of the car is nice and standard and that's OK - but obvioulsy I have to stick by my own (no offence) and say my one stands out more !.

With regards to VeVex comments, you completely lost me. I'm obvioulsy not up to the full terminalogy of 'things'. I gather there is something he didn't like that I can't see - even though it wasn't directed to me.

with respect....you are trying to make an S3 stand out, when most people go for and love these cars because of there subtlety! they are supposed to be the dark horse amongst performance cars, and live up to the class looks/styling/quality that audi has built itself on. If you really are after all this attention on the street, nevermind in the forums, why didnt you go for an imola, noggy, or red? instead you went for a ming blue, which is gorgeous (i have one) but in no way is it made to 'stand out', now your poor vehicle isnt standing out, its being pointed out and gasped at in horror. The people that DO see these understated subtle cars, and DO have an appreciation for them and exactly what they are, these are the people that matter! So maybe you should re-evaluate what you want in a vehicle, i would suggest, a late nineties pug that you can chrome to death and catch the eye of every 16 year old sat on his scooter outside 'maccy d's', this should be adequate attention for you. because otherwise your just attracting negative attention to a car that is a lot more than a canvass for chrome! its a drivers car! drive it and enjoy it, not de-face it!
Btw if you do insist in adding chrome to a standard s3, the furthest i and many other people would go is with numberplate surrounds! thats it.

dear noggy, your car looks seriously good, subtle body tweeks on a tidy car, the grill makes the badge stand out more, while reducing chrome. Its like an S3 turned gothic, suggesting a little more than standard perfromance! im now considering the same

It's like ALPINE never left...

But in all seriousness, even the local chavs would think your 'additions' look tacky and out of place. The S3's looks are one of its strong points; I wouldn't mess with them too much because it'll just end up looking a dogs dinner.

I can see that you're trying to make your car stand out in a sea of RS4 replica's and LCR splitters but it's not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.