1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome blackout !

Stubie Jan 29, 2012

1. Stubie

Stubie Member

Guys , I'm want black out the chrome trim around the windows on my avant ! The only blackout tape I can find is from the states . My other option is masking around it and painting it with plasti dip !
    What have you guys found ??

2. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

think if it was me id paint it would only take 5 mins to do it i have a feeling the tape would start to lift after a few mths

3. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

How hard is it to get the window chromes off though?

4. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

One of ASN members done this mod last year, someone will pop along later and help you.

5. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

i thin there was a guy that did it not so long ago and he put a post up showing how to do it as he just uncliped it did not look like a big job. but you dont need to take it off if you are painting

6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I'm not on the PC so can't look for you, but look for "Shadowline" trim on ebay.

7. Wheelmanwayne

Wheelmanwayne Member

I bought a couple metres of gloss vinyl (folded it in half to save doing the job twice)cut the shapes out roughly applied the vinyl with the help of a little heat for folding it around the corners etc then trimmed the excess with a sharp scalpel.
    A good job should last at least 3-4 years and it takes about 2 hours

8. iyrix

iyrix Member

Anyone got a link to where i can buy this? would be interested in try it on my car.

Cheers
    G.

9. 4NT

4NT Terminal Douche Bag!

At factory order time Audi called it Black Optics pack if that's any use to you whilst searching etc.

10. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

it was me!

lift up this edge
    [​IMG]

lift a bit
    [​IMG]

and peel back like a banana!
    [​IMG]

11. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Surely that knackers it?

12. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

if the tapes put on good it wont lift
    its been on my old b6 for over 2 years
    painting is an option but ots a big job to remove the trims
    tape up and pain is quicker

13. Turkster

yep, you can not take them off without busting them, that's the way they are designed, one time fit!

14. Wheelmanwayne

Wheelmanwayne Member

To remove the strips is a big job door cards off windows out the clips/bolts holding the strips are inside the door,
    I'll upload some pics of mine before and after I blacked it out with gloss black vinyl

before
    [​IMG]
    after + its having tints done in the below pick, chavy some might say but they have a purpose stopping the sun getting to my 9 month old twins eyes & theres a few toe rags in birmingham haha
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. Turkster

you can also buy from the dealers blacked out strips rather than re chroming them, i did look into this option,

16. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

whats that black strip under the side of your car ??????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Wheelmanwayne

Wheelmanwayne Member

They are CSR side skirts

18. Greeny233

Greeny233 It's all about the V8. Team V8 Team Silver Audi Avant Owner Group Audi S4

I believe on the Avant the rear side window trims are part of the windows so the rear side windows have to come out. So using vinyl or tape/platidip will be the easiest option. I tried carbon Di-Noc film on mine and it only took about an hour to do one side but i didn't like it so off it came.