Chorus to concert II? + Ipod?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a small quandry.

Curently in my 2001 8l S3 i have the chorus H/U, with the bose add ons - 6 disc changer, door speakers, some form of woofer in the rear.
Which i would like to upgrade to the CD varient (believe its the concert II?)
Would this be a straight forward swap?. both H/U's look near identical, although i have heard talk about needing a CAN simulator?.
I would like to keep the power on text as "bose" also.. is this possible?.

Aswell as changing the headunit, i would like to add some form of ipod dock?.
Am i right in thinking Audi make one which plugs inline with the cd changer?
or would i be better off opting for a dension gateway/ Xcar-link.

any help appreciated.
Regards
Callum

Yes the Concert II doesn't use a conventional 12v feed to tell the HU to turn on with the ignition. It uses the CANBUS which is a databus, so if your S3 isn't equipped with CANBUS then the HU will have to be turned on manually and will then turn itself off after an hour. Audi changed to CANBUS around 2001 so you'd need to check the back of the HU to see if you have it or not. Check the black power ISO, bottom plug. If it has both a thick red wire with white stripe and a yellow wire with red stripe then you don't have CANBUS. If it just has the Red/white stripe then you do have CANBUS. The CANBUS connection should also be shown on the diagram on top of the HU, shown here:
symphonyII_pin-1.jpg

The Bose welcome on start up is purely cosmetic and is programmed via VAGCOM. If the Concert II came out of a Bose vehicle then it'll be there, otherwise you'll need to use VAGCOM to switch this pointless feature on.