1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chipping my B5 - dont want to mess with the ECU

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by andernalin_junk, Nov 14, 2011.

1. andernalin_junk

andernalin_junk New Member

[Nov 14, 2011]
    Hey

I think this is my first post hare :whistle2:
    so its like that :

My car - a 99 B5 with a full set up incl. w/m
    I have a sealth racing custom chip (thru a dealer in my country )
    but we havn't finish it yet ands regarless to that this is not my last one cuse soon i'll have a big turbo
    My ecu us 558E and we need to open the ecu to manually change chips on every version we do
    (I have a socket so we wont have to wels lt ) but i'm looking for a solution that we can do it
    thru the diagnostic plug

anyone know how ? how did you make you own chip ?

THX :blackrs4:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 14, 2011]
    The older M3.8.2 ECU's simply arent programmable via the diagnostic port.

You can use an M3.8.3 ECU from an AGU engined A3 or Golf, which can be flashed using MPPS or other similar flashing tools.
  4. aragorn

[Nov 14, 2011]
    The other option is an EEPROM emulator, that plugs into the socket in place of the original chip, and is connected to a computer.

This allows you to make many changes without having to write out a new chip until you've finished the mapping.
  5. andernalin_junk

andernalin_junk New Member

[Nov 14, 2011]
    thanks !

How can i match a golf or A3 ECU to my car ? what i need to do so that fits ?
    the eeporm is no good i think ... becuse the tuner is in the UK (stealth racing) and i'm in Israel

another problem is that the originak chip is not re-writeble which means that we must use a new chip for every version (cost around 5poundsd)
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. aragorn

[Nov 14, 2011]
    You can either remove the immo completely, or use vagtacho or similar to fetch the Secret Code and program the ECU.

All of this is a moot point though, because MPPS is expensive (~2000 Euro), and completely uneconomical for one bloke wanting to flash his ECU. Its the type of tool a tuner would buy, as he'd be using it to map many cars. Given you dont have access to the tuner, you arent going to have access to MPPS.

The later ME7 ECU's are flashable easily via the diagnostic port with cheap/free tools, but they will require you to convert the car to electronic throttle.