1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipping 1.8T and dealer ignorance...

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by cheiliger, Jul 28, 2003.

1. cheiliger

cheiliger New Member

[Jul 28, 2003]
    Anyone know how I would go about chipping my 1.8T so that the dealer won't know when I take it into service? I don't want to void out the warranty. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jul 28, 2003]
    If the dealer is looking hard enough, they will find out but in my experience, none of the dealers I have used give a toss about a simple chip.

Best bet is to get a serial port tune from the likes of APR or Revo. Arguably, APR is the tidier option as you can switch between programs (i.e. chipped, stock, 85ron, 98ron) from the cruise control whereas Revo uses a plug in module.

All other chips require a new chip installed in the ECU box therefore are detectable if this is removed.

I'm waiting for Starperformance.co.uk to get the APR serial hardware in then my S4 will be chipped with cruise added also.
  4. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jul 28, 2003]
    Oh, I should probbably say that in case you didn't know, the serial port tuning leaves the ECU box untouched as the software is loaded onto the original chip via the diagnostic port.
  5. cheiliger

cheiliger New Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    Thanks.
    Can you reflash the ECU before taking it in for service?
    I'd like to be able to give the dealer a bone-stock car when they have to service it.
  6. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    Not sure about all tuners, but with APR you can select the normal map from the cruise stalk and then lock it out (using a number of coded button presses) so to all intents it appears standard.
  7. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 30, 2003]
    I took my AmD chipped A3 to be serviced at Oxford Audi, and they didnt mention anything... I really dont think they care!

Rich