Chipped car reverting back to standard now and them.

• Thread starter imported_highlander1
  • Start date
I

imported_highlander1

My mates Golf iv 1.8t 2001 aum has started to revert back to standard on occation, Has anyone had a problem like this or have any thoughts on it.
Cheers,
Deano.
P.S switching the ignition on and off solves the problem.

I'm no expert but I don't think the software they load could 'revert back to standard' unless it was a trial. If it's loaded on the ECU then it's not going to go away again. I would bet it's a fault with something else that is causing a loss of power.

Agree with the others. It's a permanent code (unless reset by a technician). More likely to be a dodgy mechanical part than the remap.

Overboost leading to ECU failsafe mode 0.5bar reset by ignition cycling sounds like the obvious cause...

Other than that, failed sensor, boost leak etc...

Limp mode I reckon. Although if you have more than 1 remap that you can set via your cruise control stalk, you can change the mapping back to standard whilst driving unless you have a lock in place (like the APR remaps).

However, all signs point to overboost and limp mode.

Thanks folks, bit more info that might help solve this problem.... The car also loses peak boost while accelerating from low revs in a high gear creating a surge effect. Doesn't seem to do it when flat out through the gears. Had the boost monitored by local vw specalist, diagnostic showed no faults but did show a loss of boost from 2200 to 2000 units when this was happening (not sure what the units are.duhh?) this symptom was checked before this latest fault appeared!

I had this prob and initially blamed the remap. However weeks later bit the bullet and bought a new MAF sensor and all is well. Think somtimes its mapped that close to the limit that a dirty/old MAF can cause limp mode to kick in.

Limp mode is the definitive pain in the ****!