Chip Advice

dcampe001

Reaction score
I'm 10K into my 2003 1.8T A4 and I think I have waited long enough. I'm a little disappointed with the torque/hp so I think it's time to chip it! A couple questions...

1. How much of a difference does it make? Is is really that noticeable?

2. Not too familiar with the different brands/chip types. Any recommendations?

3. What price range should I expect?

Thanks for any info or stories you can give me.

Dave
Arlington, VA

2003 Silver A4 1.8T Quattro
Black Leather
Sports Package
Premium Package

[ QUOTE ]
VT_Hokie said:
I'm 10K into my 2003 1.8T A4 and I think I have waited long enough. I'm a little disappointed with the torque/hp so I think it's time to chip it! A couple questions...

1. How much of a difference does it make? Is is really that noticeable?

2. Not too familiar with the different brands/chip types. Any recommendations?

3. What price range should I expect?

Thanks for any info or stories you can give me.

Dave
Arlington, VA

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first off welcome to the boards.

Now onto your questions, the first is extremely easy, it will give you a new car, you'll be able to rev upto 6k easily instead of the current 5k tail off that you have now. The turbo noise becomes more audible with your windows down and sounds like it's trying to suck in the whole engine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif Basically I can't recommend getting your car chipped enough. I have my A3 1.8T chipped and am capable of a 0-60 in 6.49 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 15.24, just from having a chip fitted!

I'm guessing you're from Vancover?? Well this little list of tuners are chips are know are available within the states either through dealers or from the tuner themselves and would think are available through dealers in Canada.

APR - www.goapr.com - Very well known both in Europe and the States and stage III tuning gives very good figures.
GIAC - www.giacusa.com - Again another well known tuner in the states.
Neuspeed - www.neuspeed.com - Well known in the states, but less so than the two above.
Greedspeed - www.greedspeed.com - I don't know much about these guys but the Yanks do from what it seems.
Total Audi Performance (TAP) - www.tap1.com - Again I know nothing about these guys but they do across the water.

There are probably others, but the above are the ones I know and that are most commonly discussed on the US forums.

The below are available in the US, but not so talked about, due to the home brands of GIAC, APR and Neuspeed.
AmD - www.amdtechnik.com - UK based tuner with great reputation coming to the USA soon.
Revo - www.revotechnik.com - Known in the UK and have dealers in Canada.
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de - German based tuner with great reputation but expensive, especially when compared to home grown chips...so to speak.
Wettrauer - www.wettrauer.de - Again a German tuner with a good reputation and quite well known in the states.
ABT - www.abtsportsline.de - Another German tuner used in mainland Europe as the chip tuner for the dealers.
MTM - www.mtm-online.de - Well known German tuner with good maps.

As for prices I'm not sure, but know that they are a hell of a lot cheaper than here in Europe.

Oh, and have you thought about your warranty?