1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese Clone = Can:Questionable, Will a genuine cable work?

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by madhoose, Feb 28, 2014.

1. madhoose

madhoose New Member

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Chinese Clone = Can:Questionable, Will a genuine cable work?

I was given a Chinese Clone for VCDS 12.12 however when plugged in it gives Can:Questionable and I can't access the Xenon lights section.

My question is, I I pay £250/260 for a genuine cable will it work? Or Do i have a bigger issue that I need to fix before buying the cable.

If I do buy from the seller on here or Gendan, if it still doesnt work can I get a refund?

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 28, 2014]
    I can assure you the genuine cable I sell works perfectly well, if it doesn't then its the cars diagnostics port/network at fault not the cable.
    dualmono21 and bearthebruce like this.
  4. madhoose

madhoose New Member

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Hi, That's the issue I'm having. I could shell out £250 and find out its the Diagnostic port, which means I then need to pay out to get that fixed before the cable can be used.

I've emailed a few guys of the VCDS map and I'll see if they can test their genuine cable in the car.
  5. NHN

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Buying a Chinese counterfeit is your 1st mistake anyway fella, sorry to be blunt, but its a fact, waste of time & money, not a good basis to start diagnosing issues on the car, but you've done the right thing by asking a genuine vcds user to test your car 1st :)
  6. r15wne

r15wne Member

[Feb 28, 2014]
    have had my genuine for a few years now works good free udates aswell.
    i recomend you contact nhn for genuine..
    bearthebruce and NHN like this.
  7. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Even if you buy genuine, and the car doesnt work, are you saying you wouldnt want to fix the issue? My money is on the clone being useless. What car and can you connect to ANY modules?
    NHN likes this.
  8. NHN

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Couldn't agree more.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. madhoose

madhoose New Member

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Depends how much it costs to fix a diagnostic port if its goosed!

I can access most of the controllers, and have pulled off a few fault codes of the HVAC system which i'm going to try and get the parts tomorrow.

I can't access the xenon one, and I have a fault about the leveling showing on my dash.
  10. NHN

[Feb 28, 2014]
    Sorry but this forum doesn't support the use of illegal counterfeit cables & I for one cant help any further.
    Sandra and bearthebruce like this.
  11. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 28, 2014]
    If you lost your keys today, You would be looking at 150-170 for a key to be made by usual means, ie gain entry, then program through the obd port.
    if your obd is goosed , I COULD still make you a key by stripping your dash clocks out, and id charge you double just for the hell of it knowing there is no other way.

However, you could buy a genuine tool, fault find and fix it if there is actually a fault with the car at all, and the best bit, VCDS will allow you to reprogram a new key yourself. Now if you lost your key youd either have a spare already made by yourself, or Id do you a really good deal as you have half the tools to do the job yourself and im nice like that!

^^vcds sales pitch :D
    btw, these cables really seem to hold resale value when second hand, sometime even sell higher than new price !!
    bearthebruce and NHN like this.
  12. L33AEX

L33AEX Member

[Mar 1, 2014]
    When I brought my cable I did much research into the difference between a cloned cable to a genuine. Many people have had endless problems with their cloned cables also, some have said it has fried their ECU. I took it upon myself to purchase both. I paid £40 for the clone & £268 for the genuine thinking there wouldn't be much difference between the two - turns out I was wrong, the clone is cheaply made, and was no where near worth £40 I took one look and thought I'm not going to let a £40 cable fry my ECU - didn't even entertain the clone. When purchasing a genuine from NHN or another authorised distributor you gain full support on the software and usage of the product, with a clone you could end up with thousands of pounds of fault electrical bills. So do the right thing and buy a genuine one because there is no doubt you will get your money back on the secondhand market.
    NHN likes this.
  13. dieseldoos

dieseldoos Active Member

[Mar 2, 2014]
    Before I brought my genuine cable, I tried a clone. It "seemed" to work, but didnt actually do anything, or like yours, it wouldnt read a few modules. I brought the genuine cable and all is fine, so I would say the problem is the cable not your obd port, or a bigger issue.
    bearthebruce likes this.
  14. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

[Mar 8, 2014]
    dont mess around with clone cables your liable to do more damage than good
    bite the bullet and buy genuine
  15. Wallm0nkey

Wallm0nkey Member

[Mar 8, 2014]
    Genuine all the way it just works! A decent independent garage round me charges roughly £40 for diagnostics so it doesn't take many trips to pay for a cable. You also have the option of helping other people for a small fee to recoup some costs which isn't really possible with a cheap untested cable.
  16. glenandem

glenandem Member

[Mar 8, 2014]
    i bought a clone and its done everything it needed for me, if i was going to be using one on a regular basis i'd buy a gen but the £30-£40 i spent on it has more than paid for itself clearing codes,checking parameters,coding things and even sorted my sisters golf with it when her car wasnt running right,was great using the logs etc!
    think theres so many clones round its hard to find a decent working one but they are out there but if your going to be using it more than a few times than buy a genuine!