1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking oil level!!!

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Daz4311, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Daz4311

Daz4311 Member

When does everybody check there oil level. On a cold engine or when it's warm???
  2. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

You do it when its warm and after giving the oil time to settle back into the sump.
    Nothing definitive on this but I run the engine to temperature ( i.e. after a run ) and then give it five minutes after switching the engine off before checking the level.

You also need great eyes and a crystal ball if you are to make sense of the Audi dipstick, very poor design indeed and not user friendly.

Paul B7
  3. Stringster

Stringster Missed gear

I always practice that you have to check the engine oil when the engine is cold as the oil needs to drain into the crankcase for an accurate reading.
    This is not true for modern engines though and you can read when the engine is stopped for over 10 minutes.
    I will still check in the morning when the engine is cold though!
    And yes, the B7 dipstick is tricky to read!
  4. carl-1968

carl-1968 A4 Derv for sale ask me for details!

I do mine cold, same time for other fluids as well normally on Sunday mornings....ah id best go check then lol seeing as its not raining atm!
  5. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

audi once a week before moving to wash
    s2000 every time before its moved out of garage

both always cold