Checking Engine oil with engine running?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, this might sound like a stupid question but I'm not sure so I'm going to ask anyway =P. Right so I came to check the engine oil level today and it was bang on the max mark. Then I switched te engine on to see if the level will change, and it did. With the engine running it shows that I've got no oil. Now I'm guessing this is normal right? as the oil is being circulated around the engine right? lol just need some clarification :beerchug:

Defratos said:
Hey guys, this might sound like a stupid question but I'm not sure so I'm going to ask anyway =P. Right so I came to check the engine oil level today and it was bang on the max mark. Then I switched te engine on to see if the level will change, and it did. With the engine running it shows that I've got no oil. Now I'm guessing this is normal right? as the oil is being circulated around the engine right? lol just need some clarification :beerchug:
you should check oil on a cold engine or about 10 - 15 minutes after switching off, never on a running engine

Defratos, im almost in disbelief that u've asked this - even for u lol

Lol, at least you aint afraid to ask, how else do people learn!

Whie we are discussing this subject, how often should you check the oil level on a 2.0 TDI 2006 A3. when iv asked around iv got diffeent answers.

as iv just got the car what wold everyones reccommendation be?

cheers

fesss, Some on here would say about every 5 miles. I think you should check it very regularly to begin with and once you learn its characteristics adjust the interval accordingly. Some cars seem to drink the stuff others don't use any. Mines done 1200 miles and hasn't budged on the stick yet