1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check out my TITCHY brake conversion (356mm discs and 8 pot calipers) PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by dpbayly, Feb 6, 2013.

1. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    Well its not been a bad cut and shut conversion in all, I've basically taken my bro-in-laws 1500 miles old K Sport 8 pot calipers and 356mm 2 piece discs off his Ford Focus ST as he's selling up and saw no real advantage i leaving them on so donated them to me good of him i thought as they cost him over a grand a couple of months ago.

A quick summary

I originally called K Sport to see about buying the correct bells for the discs and adaptor brackets for the calipers but they were far from helpfull so asked very nicely if my bro-in-law who owns his own engineering company if he could carry out the necessary work to make them fit the A4 which he happily did (good old boy)

Just coming of the Focus:

[​IMG]

Modded the bells:

[​IMG]

Then a freshen up with a lick of paint (i wanted them to stand out):

[​IMG]

Then the final part of the jigsaw was getting my bro-in-law to fabricate me some caliper adapters to fit the calipers to my motor which we did last night heres a few pics:

Jacked up in the workshop:

[​IMG]

The start with a big chunk of steel:

[​IMG]

munching the steel up and starting to take shape:

[​IMG]

Anyway some time later they looked like this:

[​IMG]

And bolted in place:

[​IMG]

a quick pic of the comparison of the standard disc next to my big boy one:

[​IMG]

By the time we finished it was around 10.30pm so decided to call it a day and then fitted everything up today......

One last look at the stock bottle tops:

[​IMG]

Finally fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive been out for a blast and there awesome, I've not given them much grief as bedding them in but the are very responsive and it requires a much lighter touch to achieve the same braking as before with more force.

All in all im chuffed to bits and just got to paint the back calipers just so they match.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. DALE_AVANT

DALE_AVANT Avantage

[Feb 6, 2013]
    They look massive :icon_thumright:
  4. glenandem

glenandem Member

5. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    100% I have them fitted correctly

As per instructions:

[​IMG]

Direction of rotation has nothing to do with the external grooves and all to do with the internal vains the external groves are only there to clean the surface of the pad and allow gasses to escape.

The K sport discs are based on AP racing discs and all the disc components (disc and bell) are interchangeable with AP:

http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp3718-2020~1CD.pdf

Different manufactures have the external grooves set out differently as i said it has no effect on the running of the disc only the internal veins have an effect as they have to be the right way so to draw air in to the disc to aid cooling
  7. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    Fairplay........thought I would just mention as I have always done it the other way round :)
  8. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Feb 6, 2013]
    They look massive mate! Spot on.

I don't know how you get around with your car being that low though ha! Mines as low, but standard bumpers etc so more clearance. With all the speed bumps round here the front bumper wouldn't last long if it was that low.

I'm liking the rs6 style wheels on that too. They're growing on me more and more. I never liked them at first.
  9. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    Thanks,

I do have to take road humps slow but other than big humps with a light scrape it copes well with no issues with everyday driving.
  10. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

[Feb 7, 2013]
    Looks absolutely awesome, very jealous
  11. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 7, 2013]
    Nice work!

Whilst I like the calipers in red, for me the bells in red is a bit much. The only trouble with doing the rear calipers in red is it makes them look even tinier!
  12. BlackQuat

BlackQuat Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Feb 7, 2013]
    Christ I thought mine were big lol
  13. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

[Feb 8, 2013]
    What BBK are you running?
  14. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

[Feb 10, 2013]
    Thought I'd post an update I've been running these brakes a few days now and I must say I'm very impressed they bite up the same as they used to with much less pedal effort, it took a little getting used to but I'm now very happy with them,

Unlike carrying out a porsche 6 pot Cayenne upgrade (which I very nearly went for) the pedal response with my K Sport 8 pot has had no unwanted pedal behaviour due to the fact that the caliper piston area of the K Sport (2568mm squared) is almost exactly the same as the standard 57mm piston none S4 (2552.76mm squared) so the K Sport are just 16mm squared larger Where as the Porsche 18z upgrade the piston surface area is 3060mm squared so they are 508mm squared this huge increase resulting in a spongy feeling pedal so they wont respond as well unless you push harder and further on the pedal.

Ive read that the Q7 6 pot Brembo calipers run slightly smaller pistons than the Porsche Cayenne ones so they would be the ones to go for for a slightly better pedal.

The only thing Ive noticed with my K Sport (not a down side just something to bare in mind when upgrading your brakes) is when I was giving it a bit of grief on round about going straight over it was damp and as I got half way across it when I changed direction the ESP cut in grabbing one of the front brakes, obviously the ESP is unaware I've upgraded the brakes so when it grabbed the brake it grabbed harder which took me by surprised at how aggressive it felt, at first I thought what the hell was that pulled over checked over the front wheels thinking there was a fault but no fault found and it was only when i tried recreating it that it dawned on me as to what was happening when i saw the ESP light flash when loss of traction was achieved.
  15. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Feb 10, 2013]
    You will need to change brake bias and ABS pump codding- good if you can take the settings from a b7 rs4 or b6 s4...
  16. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

[Feb 10, 2013]
    Something I'll look into,

Its not bad now I know what it is just caught me unaware at first especially as it's the first time I've ever had it cut in, When I pushed hard when I was testing things it certainly still works well at keeping the car under control