Cheap power mods for 2.4 v6 sport convertible

3283old

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a newbie so excuse the lack of knowledge please.
Does anyone know of any fairly cheap ways of upping the response/acceleration of the 2.4 v6 model?
Its just too heavy and sluggish!
Also any way to make the car sound a bit more grunty/powerfull?
Thanks

Yeah, sell it and buy the more tuneable 1.8T version. LOL
Nah only joking mate, I was gonna originally buy a 2.4 or 3.0 convertible but there wasn't much available for them as power upgrades. There is enough people on here with v6 models so i am sure someone will know more.

As other said, you're peeing in the wind trying to tune a NA engine. There is a PES supercharger available for the v6 engines but its very expensve. Sell yours and buy one with a turbo- either petrol or diesel- much easier to tune.

If you want a tuneable engine then a 1.8T is your best option.
The V6's are heavy blocks so the trade off would be for maximum displacement, ie 3.0. To get the most power.
Chipping will give a NA engine ~6-7bhp, a performance exhaust ~4-5bhp, performance filter panel 1~2bhp - that's alot of £££ for little power gains.
If you are serious change the engine!

the cheapest an most efficient way is to sell it and buy a 1.8T or similar... the 2.4 is the heaviest petrol engine (pretty sure it's heavier than the 3.0 alloy block).

if you want to get it a tiny bit more responsive with a tiny bit more power, then induction or cold air induction kit (£75-£150? + fitting), sports exhaust (£300-£1000 depending on wether you do the cat / manifold too) and then afterwards a remap (£200-£600 depending where you go and if you get a rolling road before and after benchmark).

after all that you might have the same power as a remapped 1.8T, but less torque and it'll still be a much heavier car.

anythign beyond that and you're talking things like gas-flowed head, high lift cams or forced induction.... all of which are low-mid four figures.... and will really trash your insurance!

Thanks everyone, i didn't think there were many options. But overall i'm happy with my first Audi, very smooth ride.
Would like to here the V6 throatiness a bit more though!!

.....if you want to get it a tiny bit more responsive with a tiny bit more power, then induction or cold air induction kit (£75-£150? + fitting)

Not sure about the 2.4 engine but induction kits are not recommended on the 3.0 engine. I did look into this a couple years back and could not find a kit to do it. Had some email chit chat with K&N and they say do not fit an induction kit to this engine. They do a kit for the predecessor 2.8 engine on the A4/B5 but this must not be used on the 3.0 B6.

Not sure about the 2.4 engine but induction kits are not recommended on the 3.0 engine. I did look into this a couple years back and could not find a kit to do it. Had some email chit chat with K&N and they say do not fit an induction kit to this engine. They do a kit for the predecessor 2.8 engine on the A4/B5 but this must not be used on the 3.0 B6.

Good tip - I wasn't aware of that for the 3.0's - I was thinking of the work I had doen on my old NA 2.0 8v Golf GTI engine it's probably okay on the 2.4 as I think the 2.4's are still pretty much the same big heavy block from the old Audi Cabriolet's - so closer to a Mk3 Golf engine than the 3.0 Audi engine - their weight, performance and efficiency would definitely put them in a category closer to the older engines rather than the 3.0 which was a very advanced engine when if came out (light alloys and engine managment system) - DEFINTELY worth checking though - it may just be the engine managment across the range can't deal with different induction!

RE: "V6 throatiness" something like a Milltek full stainless sports exhaust would definitely give you a bit more "burble and snarl" as I like to refer to it: AMD do some interesting stuff, but just make sure they give you the before and after dyno plots if that's what they offer you, they stuffed me a around a bit on those, but they did do a great job on all the other work they did on my old Mk3 Golf Cabriolet!

Hey there, welcome!

To be honest as the other said, you need a 1.8T. But, you havn't so working with what you have I'd stick with a nice exhaust system to really get the sound of the V6 out and probably invest in a good solid service and tune up to make sure your car is giving what it is capable off. A remap is a possibility as well. I had a Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro and unless I spent stupid money on bespoke stuff there wasn't really anything else out there.

If I was you I would do what I said above and concentrate on looks and stance as well, ie. coilovers and sorted wheels.

Hope this helps and good luck

Chris

yeah I love my stainless Milltek beastie. YouTube - Fourcircle's Channel
The only issue for me is i'm getting a bit of resonance between 1800 and 2500 rpm, which is a bit annoying. I haven't decided 100% if I need resonated pipes to tone it down a little. I have to say the sound at idle makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. If you go for a Milltek or other S/S exhaust it's worth thinking if you'd prefer resonated or unresonated.
It's frustrating with the NA engine but for me I try to content myself with the odd cosmetic mod and accept I'm never going to be the fastest car on the road. Faster than the average corsa and still on the road in wet and snow is good enough for me.