cheap ipod to standard headunit

jay1601

Reaction score
thought i would give this ago
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

as its cheap. (your also need a RCA to 3.5mm lead) i had one laying around so didn't cost anything.

if you replace it for your blue connector the HU doesn't see the CD changer anymore

to get around this problem swap the pin from the RCA for the standard pin. (can be a pain to get the old pins out)

works perfect this was, its a straight swap colour for colour (white, black, red)

HU reads CD 1 TR1

hope this helps anyone thats wanting a cheap way of connecting there MP3 player/IPOD to the standard HU

i will upload some photos.

I just use the belkin tape adapter mate only £4 works great of me lol

i was using a tape to MP3 thing. but i got hissing even with the dolby turned on. used to be annoying as hell

You got pics mate? Would love todo this but im useless when t comes to ice lol.

I only ever got hissing when the volume on headunit was high and iPod low mate but I see what ur saying

Does anyone know if this will work on a tdi sport headunit without a disc changer?

Cool just bought one will give it a try :) have not got a cd changer so would it be even easier ?

i can't get my HU out till next week as my tools are at work.

some photos hope it helps a little bit more untill i get some wire photos.

the lead does down through the centre console and comes out behind the ash tray to give access to the ipod. as you can see it reads CD1 TR1 (apart from the few lost pixels)
BasingstokeandDeane-20120601-00113.jpg

heres a photo of the old block i didn't take a photo before so i painted in the bit i took out, not the best but you get the idea. all you do is take the 3 wires out of this one (after market) and replace with the correct colour in the standard blue block, you will have white, black and red wires. all you do is replace with the after market replacement

BasingstokeandDeane-20120601-00114.jpg

to the left in the photo you can see the "tool" i made to get the pins out. if you look at the block straight on (wires at the back) your see it looks like a + you need to make a tool or use the correct tool and push it in the top and bottom of the + as this flatterns down the clips holding the pins in place. just go careful not to damage the block

i used one of this to link the RCA to a 3.5mm jack
636_main_01.jpg

hope this helps for now. i will get some better photos asap

Last edited:
So when fitting the 3 wires into the block, donyou remove the exsisting wires and put the new ones in or do you fit them all in together? Does that make sense? Lol.

Haha love that pic mate. Yeah perfect sense mate. Going to put a order in for these bits. This should be made into a stickie.

Just a quick question will I require 2 sets of stereo pins for a double din to take it out ?

Parts ordered, hopefully best £4.27 ill have ever spent haha.

no just cd one i believe, this right jay?

If its the same as Xcarlink. It recognises the iPod as cd1. But then flick the stereo off then back on and it'll divert back to the changer.

So tried this friday, epic fail lol.

Parts turned up friday, they sent me the blaupunkt cable with a 3.5mm jack instead (would that be ok to use instead of a rca end connection?) anyway i tried to remove the 3 wires from the the blue block, epic fail, removedthe red and black wire but the white one was a *****, i ended up trashing the gaitor mouth part and ripped the wire out of the connector as well, so it went in the bin.

Anyone got a way of removing the cables? I dont fancy trashing the connection on the car stereo as that will cause some right ****.

the way i got mine out was with the "tool" i made.
i bought this from ebay
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
not sure if it would work as i'm still waiting for it to turn up lol

to answer the above question. the CD changer is no longer in use, (you will need a CD in for this to work)

i am working on a switchable way of changing from MP3 to CD changer. i will post more photos up when i find a cheap way of doing it

heres some better photos on the wires.
WestBerkshire-20120608-00116.jpg

WestBerkshire-20120608-00117.jpg

So the cd changer wont work full stop then? Not just cd1?

Bump, so will the cd changer not work at all jay? Also anyone else tried this yet?

What if you left the old wires in place and just cut the new wires into it so then the cd changer and iPod adapter would both work still

Bump, so will the cd changer not work at all jay? Also anyone else tried this yet?

Yes it does mean the cd changer won't work. You could fit a switch to change between the two. My mate got a iPod connector kit (similar to this: CTAADIPOD003.2 Ipod Adapter for Audi A2/A3/A4/A6/A8/TT) for his TT and even that renders the cd changer useless. Think the only kit that still lets you use the cd changer is xcarlink. They're about £84 though.

It would have a hissy fit as would be trying to play the cds as well as the iPod.

Would it not work if you left the cd changer cartridge out and then plugged the iPod in or if you wanted to listen to CDs then just put the cartridge in and leave the iPod unplugged

no by taking the 3 pins out , the data from the CD changer doesn't get to the HU anymore.

i'm working on cheap way of being able to switch between ipod and CD changer

Would it not work if you left the cd changer cartridge out and then plugged the iPod in or if you wanted to listen to CDs then just put the cartridge in and leave the iPod unplugged

that could work it you just splice the ipod lead in to the standard wiring.

Does anyone know of there is a similar thing for the Audi Concert 2 in my a3 8l?

Thanks AJM

Does anyone know of there is a similar thing for the Audi Concert 2 in my a3 8l?

Thanks AJM

In theory you should be able to get this mod to work on all head units... I've just done it on the Audi Chorus HU in my face lift 8l

All I did was followed the wring diagram which is stuck on the head-unit it's self... I swapped the red and black cables from the new cable for "CD-L" and "CD-R" according to the wiring diagram (which actually turned out to be brown and white from the HU) and I swapped the black cable for "CD-GND" which was a yellow and red cable.

And voila, works a treat! . . Although as everyone else says, a right pain to get the pins out. I have the bleeding knuckles to prove it!

Does anyone know how to get this to work with Symphony II?
Heres a wiring diagram I've found but it doesn't tally up with the post above

SymphonyII pincopy

Bump for the above post... Is there any way to get this to work with the Symphony II, with the in-dash 6 cd changer?