Cheap HDMI Upscaling DVD player with USB

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Thought i would let people know incase like me they want to play AVI files on their TV off a memory stick this seems to be one of the best and cheapest solutions around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP5960-Player-upscaling-1080i/dp/B000G2Y59E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-8366292-8051944?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183719600&sr=8-1

I bought one last week and it does everything you should need you can plug it in to an HDMI socket and get really good picture quality but the best thing is that you can play pretty much anything through it including Divx movies on either DVD RW's or off a flash drive or if you really want and external USB Hard Drive. Its also is multiregion if you use this hack :

1. Turn on the unit
2. Open the loading tray
3. Press the "Setup" button on the remote
4. Navigate to the "Preferences" page using the right arrow key
5. Enter 138931
6. You will now see the current region code displayed
7. Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select the region required or "0" for all regions
8. Press the "Setup" button on the remote
9. Press "OK" on the remote

ordered one 3 days ago just waiting now
very good price with a good make

I have had mine for a week now and it is very good esp for £39.99 delivered! I also have the LG DNX 190 which is very similar but i think the
Philips is just that little bit better i the way it operates. Picture quality was very similar on both units so its down to personal preference.

I would say that it is a good idea once you recieve the Philips to go on the Philips website and get the latest firware for it as this fixes a few of the bugs it had originally. (You can check the firmware on the player first to see if it has the latest one already as mine did when it arrived from amazon)

Here is the link to the philips website and the User manual which will tell you exactly what the connections are etc..

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&slg=ENG&sct=DVD_PLAYERS_SU_GB_CONSUMER&cat=DVD_HOME_THEATER_CA_GB_CONSUMER&session=20070717044403_10.216.49.18&grp=HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_GR_GB_CONSUMER&ctn=DVP5960/05&mid=Link_UserManuals&hlt=Link_UserManuals

Out of interest philips have now replaced this model with the 5980 but the only real difference is that it is black not silver and will output 1080p but unless your tv supports 1080p you may as well stick with the cheaper 5960.