Cheap chains and socks.

cheaper off ebay :)

Ah I didn't check for them lol

I've used chains before a couple of times, in honesty they're a b*stard to fit; cold hands, dirty arms, wet knees etc - I'm sure if you did it frequently you'd get better at it!

chains are okay if you're driving in soft snow (same as mud-tyres), but not so great in snow and you'll have to take them off if you're crossing over to icy tarmac and back onto snow...

and heard that socks are okay for keeping in the boot and swapping out when you get stuck, but if you drive them on the regular road, they wear through fast and the cheap ones are liable to shred and take out brake calipers / carriers / just get stuck in the suspension... I was thinking about a set of these for winter to keep in the boot, but knew I'd never use them and jsut end up sliding off the road somewhere with the socks still in the boot, so I stumped up for soft compound ice tyres :)

Fitted winter tyres to the car this week, same day that we got 2-3 inches of snow, best decision I have ever made.......car rides well, but with far more grip in the twisty stuff, stops a lot better as well.....

Fitted 205/55/16 Pirelli Sottozero II, £102 each from Oponeo....

chains good for emergencies... winter tyres mean you're pretty unlikely to get INTO those emergencies...