Charged the wrong amount for petrol!!!

MURRAYS444

Reaction score
:jump:I got petrol today £30.00 at shell and my girlfriend went to pay for it she paid for it and after i had left the garage she said that she was charged £21.50 by the empolyee whos fault would that be???

as long as she has a receipt it has to be a win win win situation

Yeah the the attendant said a number and she said yeah its sounds a bit like a lottery if you ask me and she has the receipt and its her card number on and it will be on the cameras!!!

Happened to me before as well, put about £50 in, went inside n got some food too. Told the cashier the pump number, paid by card and didnt realise until I got home n looked at the receipt that I was only charged for the food. Was expecting some contact from the police but got nothing and this was almost a year ago.

Hmmmm....a tricky one. Not here to judge, just taking an objective view.

1.) If your girlfriend said the correct and true pump number and the cashier charged you the wrong amount then cashiers fault.
2.) If your girlfriend gave the wrong pump number (whether knowingly or unknowingly) it is your girlfriends fault.
3.) If the cashier gave a wrong pump number and your girlfriend said "yes" then this is a bit more messy yet technically still your girlfriends fault as she has lied (knowingly or unknowingly) to the cashier. Why? Because the cashier is operating on his/her best knowledge that the pump you used is the one that they think you used. The cashier tries to confirm their judgement by asking your girlfriend. Your girlfriend agrees with this judgement and unknowingly tells a lie.

I think technically you owe the petrol station some money as you have taken petrol (albeit approx 7-8 litres) that you have not paid for. In a criminal court of law, this is classed as theft.

BUT....It's a moral dilemma as at the moment you seem to have "got away with it" and I doubt that the petrol station will chase you for it. But they are entitled to and they have the means to. If a policeman knocks on the door, you can claim it was honest mistake and that of course you will pay £8.50 back to the garage. But, technically you now cannot 'honestly' claim that you 'honestly' did not know and were unaware of the mistake.....because you do know. Also, are you prepared to live like that for the next few weeks, waiting for a knock on the door?

Finally, I wonder if they had overcharged you for fuel, say about £40 total OR if you had paid for someone elses fuel and it was more than the cost of your fuel, would go back and ask for a refund?

Phew, that was a bit heavy!

Yeah il keep onto the receipt and if the worst comes to it I will show them the receipt and act innocent Iv seen in other shell garages in the area and there are notes on the windows advising employees not to serve people who have got petrol and havent paid for it. Is it not £100 fine if you get the petrol and do a runner???

I would go back and clear it out. don't want a red light on my registration

yer i used to work at a petrol station go back and clear it up chance are they will go thanks for being honest but we past it as a sundry! its only a small amount but would be silly to get in trouble for it!