Changing turbo on A3

Sais

Reaction score
Hey,

First off, seems like a good forum here, plenty of people with knowledge and willing to help :)

Anyway, questions! I am considering buying an A3, probably around 2000 / 2001 low mileage bracket (ie less than 40k). And, as you have probably heard before, I want to make it quick! So...

1 - Internals - are the S3 / A3 internals different? If not, what is different? Basics, like pistons etc? or does it go right through to springs, etc. Does the A3 / S3 have oil squirters? If not, with big power are they needed?

2 - Turbo - Can I swap the standard turbo to either a K03s or K04 variant without any major mods? Are the bolt patterns the same? Gaskets, throttle cables etc. From the looks of it the A4 turbo swap is the same, I guess the A3 is as well!

3 - Transmission - What kind of power / torque can it cope with?

4 - Intercooler - Can the standard one cope with uprated turbo?

The idea is that I will get the A3, run it whilst I get suspension, exhaust and brakes completed, then swap turbo, custom remap and I'll be done. I'm not looking for mega power, it a front wheel drive car, so I think 250 - 260 bhp is enough - if I even need that! A Stage 1 AMD mapped S3 runs about 260 (their figures!), so provided it's only the turbo setup that differs it's not unachievable!

Thanks in advance, and please give me the answers I want so that I can get rid of the GTi!

Cheers

Chris

Anyone? Someone must have done this before? I have tried a search but found nothing?

Cheers

Chris

Sais said:
1 - Internals - are the S3 / A3 internals different? If not, what is different? Basics, like pistons etc? or does it go right through to springs, etc. Does the A3 / S3 have oil squirters? If not, with big power are they needed?
There are differances but to the sort of power you are talking about, the standard internals will be ok.

Sais said:
2 - Turbo - Can I swap the standard turbo to either a K03s or K04 variant without any major mods? Are the bolt patterns the same? Gaskets, throttle cables etc. From the looks of it the A4 turbo swap is the same, I guess the A3 is as well!
K03s is the simplest swap. K04 requires a new manifold, oil lines, TIP, and custom downpipe.

Sais said:
3 - Transmission - What kind of power / torque can it cope with?
I'd say the stock clutch is fine to 250lb/ft, but this will be more or less depending on age/condition.

Sais said:
4 - Intercooler - Can the standard one cope with uprated turbo?
No, the standard single intercooler on the A3 can't even cope with a remapped K03, i hit 60*°C inlet temps on a summers day with REVO Stage 1. FMIC is the way forward.

Sais said:
The idea is that I will get the A3, run it whilst I get suspension, exhaust and brakes completed, then swap turbo, custom remap and I'll be done. I'm not looking for mega power, it a front wheel drive car, so I think 250 - 260 bhp is enough - if I even need that! A Stage 1 AMD mapped S3 runs about 260 (their figures!), so provided it's only the turbo setup that differs it's not unachievable!
. K03s with Exhaust and FMIC is good for a real 230bhp/250lb_ft. To get the extra bhp you want will require either a K04 or one of hybrid turbos that are cropping up. Not sure if their is an ATP Eliminator option for the K03x application on the A3 or not? Worth looking in to. IMO the money required to get to 250 bhp from 230 isn't worth it. You could always look at IHI? If so, speak to Jabba. As with everything it boils down to how much money you have.