1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing top mounts???

Oranoco Jul 1, 2009

  1. Oranoco

    Oranoco Well-Known Member

    How much of a ballache is it.

    Spoke to ECP and they can do me an SKE (or is it SKF?) kit for £40. Or I can get Lemforder ones for £13 each but th eguy said I also needed the mounts at a further £20 a pop. I don't want to pay out to then have to pay out again. But on the flip side I really don't have disposable income at the moment. :(
  2. aragorn

    aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

    Its a bit of a bugger. You need to split the top two control arms off the strut, remove the damper from the lower arm, and pull the whole damper/top mount assy out as one unit.

    Then you can dismantle it and swap the mounts over.

    If the suspensions been split recently it wont be too bad. If it hasnt the pinchbolt on the top arms will be seized solid.
  3. Oranoco

    Oranoco Well-Known Member

    Bugger, One side is nice and new and I added some copper grease in preperation for next time seeing as the old one took me 2 hours to shift
  4. adamss24

    adamss24 Well-Known Member

    Go for the Lemforder ones as they are the no.1 OEM manufacturer of steering and suspenssion components for nearly all europeean manufacturers. If you fancy working on the car in about 6months time then go for the cheaper mounts !

Share This Page