1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the PAS fluid

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by B5NUT, Mar 24, 2010.

1. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 24, 2010]
    So I want to drain down the PAS fluid and replace with fresh fluid, as the old stuff is looking a bit on the brown side rather than the nice new VAG green fluid in two new bottles. I just wonder the best way to remove as much of the old fluid as possible, and the best way to fill the system.

I was going to remove the hose going to the bottom of the pump and was thinking about moving the steering left to right until as much old fluid as possible has been removed.

Then to refill the system, do what is stated in the Haynes manual, so fill the system and move the steering left to right 10x then check the level, was going to do this until the level remains the same, then start the engine and move the steering left to right a few times and keep topping up as necessary, then just leave it for 30 min and start the engine again and do this until it stops foaming.

Have I missed anything would this be OK?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Mar 24, 2010]
    thatll be fine. tbh taking off a hose from the cooler works very well too.

make sure its a good tight connection when you put the pipes back on

haynes is correct with bleeding it too
  4. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

[Mar 24, 2010]
    I have recently replaced the Steering Rack on mine and agree with most of the way you want to change the fluid..

My only concern would be that the Fluid at the moment is on the "Brown Side" should not look like that really ever..
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. B5NUT

[Mar 24, 2010]
    I have a mate who is an Audi mechanic, and said he does see that colour of fluid on older cars(not just Audi). Remember the fluid could be over 14 years old and could have been toped up with other makes of pas fluid. I've had a search around using google and the discoloration appears to be a common issue with aging cars.
  6. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

[Mar 24, 2010]
    Fluid could be over 14 years old..don't bear thinking about does it..I would be also a bit concerned about what else was left 14 years..:scared2:...it's probably one of them things you look at when buying to see if it's

been look after among loads of other things in it's 14 years..
  7. B5NUT

[Mar 24, 2010]
    Well it's one of the things that Audi never change as part of any service. My A4 which I had service by main Audi dealers for 12 years never have the PAS fluid changed! It got done About 6 years ago after a small corner shunt which damaged the PAS bottle. This 1.8T is still running the older style PAS bottle (Audi must have changed the design at some point) so looking at the colour it need doing ASAP, but if you think a brown colour PAS fluid is bad you should have been the brake fluid, that was black! coolant was just rusty water and the oil was black and was a little on the thick side... Whoever owned this car did feck all on servicing it, I think it got the bare minimum to get it passed an MOT.

I got this car to strip it for parts, but the engine only had two faults, lambda sensor & coolant sensor, and after many oil changes, coolant flushes, fluid changes, New lambda & coolant sensor, new down pipe, clutch and many hour of cleaning and replacing little bits of damaged trim the car is looking good and is running great. I'm using it for the moment so I can restore my old B5.
  8. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

[Mar 24, 2010]
    If you bought the car for parts and you have actually got it running in a reasonable condition you have had a result for sure...

I'm sure that when you have your other B5 ok then your original plan of selling for parts will easilly recoup what you paid for it that's if you still wanted to of course....:icon_thumright:..
  9. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Mar 25, 2010]
    tbh ive seen brown pas fluid in a fair few cars. it ought to be changed
  10. B5NUT

[Mar 28, 2010]
    Managed to do the PAS fluid this morning, Well I was wrong about the colour it was Black not Brown.... I think that's been in there for 14 years....

[​IMG]