1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the Headunit on a Bose system

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Eeef, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

Got myself a 60gb Dension DH100ix and I haven't even got the car yet!!! Is it a straight swap? i.e. do Audi use standard ISO (fat fekkin chance) or is there an adaptor i need to buy?

How much should I expect to get for a brand spankers Concert II cd player?
  2. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

My MD changed the head unit on his TT to a Sony minidisc.
    He had to get some kind of adaptor as the Bose uses 'active' speakers with individual amps rather than one amp driving them all,if you know what I mean.
    It did take him repeated trips to the local ICE dealer to get it sorted,but that was a couple years ago when the Bose was relatively new to the ICE dealer.
  3. imported_christhick

imported_christhick Guest

I tried upgrading my HU on my A4's Bose system. NO GO. I tried everything and spoke to everyone but unless you change all speakers you'll get feedback through the speakers when using the new HU.

So many ICE dealer said that they'd never heard of any problems with the Bose system but if you speak to AndyMac or any other ICE pro's on this site they'll give you the low down.

I rang Audio HQ audio dept and was told that the Bose system has always been a problem for upgrades. But I guess it varies from model to model.

Hope this helps.
  4. imported_christhick

PS. have you got a decent close up picture of your Audi HU because if its the same black as the rest of my A4's centre console I may consider making you an offer on it.

Cheers
    Chris
  5. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

I think the front fascia's a different shape ?
  6. imported_simey

imported_simey Guest

The adaption lead for an upgrade head unit to bose sound system is 50 sheets as I use an Alpine deck with the syandard bose system.
  7. Cupramax

Cupramax Uber pimp meister

[ QUOTE ]
    I tried upgrading my HU on my A4's Bose system. NO GO. I tried everything and spoke to everyone but unless you change all speakers you'll get feedback through the speakers when using the new HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you didn't find this then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2490
  8. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Cool I asked a similar question a little while ago and didn;t get a response! Although on the car audio direct site they only list the a3 from 2000 on1 I pressume the later a3 is different again?

J.
  9. imported_christhick

Thanks for the link but that lead doesn't help. The probelm is to do with the Ohms of the Bose speakers and that of the after market HU.

Beleive me, I tried everything including that lead.

Cheers anyway.
  10. Cupramax

Cupramax Uber pimp meister

No, that lead works.... It allows you to run the active speakers correctly.
  11. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Yup,that's the lead my MD bought to run his Sony MD headunit with his Bose speakers in his TT.
  12. imported_christhick

If you are right and I'm wrong I'll be sick!!! I spent so many hours on the phone and web trying to sort if out and NO one could help. As if I am the only Audi A4 onwer with a Bose system thats changed their HU.

Are both your cars newer than my 99.5 A4 coz that might be the reason why the lead worked for you and not me.

The only people that ever seemed to know what they were talking about said that the Bose system is a problem (with my car anyway) when changing the HU and the only option is new speakers. Are you sure you guys have the same Bose speakers as in my car.

If the lead is the solution then I will hold both of you personally responsible for me spending a small fortune on a new HU next month!!!!