Changing the coolant tomorrow, where do I drain the block?

jackpilk

Reaction score
I've had a search and have found there is a drain on the bottom of the rad this is all well and good, but where do I drain the block? A picture would be handy if anyone has one floating about.

Thanks

The tap is at the lowest point in the system so aslong as you remove the header tank cap then you should get "most" of it out. The only other option beyond this is to remove hoses, namely the bottom pipe which goes from the thermostat housing to the tap, but its a pita and not worth it. You could flush the system to ensure all the old coolant is out but i just empty, then mix a fresh batch up and refill

Lowest point on the block is the turbo coolant drain. You can drain most out by the rad drain and then running then engine for a short while to pump the rest out but you have to be mindful of the lack Coolant. To be honest I don't think you'll ever get it all out as some will remain in the heater matrix, pipe work and other bits. just make sure you use g12 or your rust the block and hg.

Brill. It's just the standard G12 from Audi? Because I've been seeing types like G12 ++ etc crop up.

Yeah g12 plus plus is just the latest version. New and improved.