Changing steering wheel

Bcree1230

Reaction score
Hi I have just bought a 2010 a3 convertible 2.0 tdi which is very basic inside and would like to change the steering wheel to a multi function wheel and then upgrade the stereo but am not sure of the compatibility of the steering wheel or if this is possible at all. I would be very grateful for any advise please. Thanks

Hope you don't think I'm thick but is mfsw manufacture fitted steering wheel? So it's got to be s line as I've looked at a few but some say not compatible.

You don't need s-line in order to have MFSW fitted. Just check the steering wheel module number. If it is K at the end you are able to fit it, if not you need a new steering wheel module unit with S/N: 8P0 953 549 K
If you have automatic transmission you can be more than certain you have the right unit. if you have manual, you should be OK as well, as from June 2009 they fitted almost all cars with a single unit model ending with K. Just to be sure check the number and will know for sure. either hook it up to VCDS, or remove the lower steering wheel trim and check the number on the unit itself.

I should have have told you I was a girl and then you would have realised I would be clueless, I'll get my husband to check this out then I can have a look, thanks I do appreciate your help. Do you think this would all be a costly job or affordable ???

if you have the right control unit you just need a new steering wheel and airbag if you are changing from 4-spoke to 3-spoke steering wheel or the other way round. If the design of the steering wheel is the same the airbag will fit.
If you are able to find a used steering wheel, they pop out from time to time on the forum, it will cost you from £60-£100
Used steering wheel units go around £100-£130
plus if you are not able to change it yourselves you need someone to help you out with it so some labour costs plus VCDS coding via computer.
There are couple of lads on the forum who do these retrofits and would be more than happy to help you. I would be more than happy to help as well but I live abroad.

That sounds good, I will start looking. Thanks for your help.