changing shocks and springs

S3 chj

Reaction score
iv bought some weitec shocks and springs for my a3, iv never changed them on a a3 before is there any tips or how to on here for it,

cheers chris

thanks mate i will have a good read of that tomorrow when fitting

It's probably worth buying the front hub spliter tool as well £10 from audi. It goes in the slot in the front hub you then turn it 90 degrees which opens the hub up and makes removing and inserting the damper so much easier.

I just used a allen key and a chisel to open mine up, the shocker came out pretty easy. Did soak it in wd40 before hand.

ok thanks for the tips guys me and my mate jeffers are going to change them tommorrow

Did my cousins Mk4 today, kept having to stop for the rain but got through it in the end. Easiest suspension ive ever changed. a 2 year old could do the back, and apart from the stiff top mounts and slotting the new shocks in didnt have any probs on the front. Very Easy DIY.

oh on the S3 you need a 21mm socket that you can hold while you put a 7mm allen key down the middle. I bought a cheap socket and ground the sides flat to fit a spanner. I belive you can get a 21mm spark plug socket but there wasn`t one avaliable at the time for me.

Or you could buy new top mount bearings, bushes, spring seats and nuts then you con't need to dismantle the old struts at all. Its what I did and it cost about £50 all in from Audi.

belive you can get a 21mm spark plug socket

14mm spark plug socket with a 7mm allen ket in the middle.

Yeah it would make sense.. or 21mm socket is the same size as a 14mm spark plug socket.

The top nut on my S3 was 21mm but I used a 14mm spark plug socket so everybody is right. Although the nuts that came on the Bilsteins where 22mm.

Although the nuts that came on the Bilsteins where 22mm.

Yup, i used the original nut tho, couldnt find my 22mm socket!

Its good how they like their strange sizes the Germans, everything is 21mm , 14mm etc when in the uk its 13mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm.

i managed to get the suspension finished today, bit of a pain without a spreader tool for the front hubs but got there in the end, will post some picks tomorrow

cheers guys:salute:

how it looks with the 40mm drop i done on the weekend, thanks to dpm,

a3lowerd001.jpg

next is the rs4 front with s3 rear and a full respray

:applaus:well done mate, looks spot on, perfect ride height i'd say !!!:thumbsup:

sshh i didnt hear that lol,

not more money i thought i was finished:faint:

40mm looks lovely on 18"
I need to get me a set too.

Chris do you get any rubbing by the way on full lock?
How do you also find speed humps?