1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing oil before AVS says required on 2.0 170

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by Lukeyb, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Lukeyb

Lukeyb Member

Im wanting to know if its possible to change the oil early on the 2.0TDI 170 engine, 18k just seems like such a long time to have the same oil in it make sme feel a bit uncomfortable about leaving it that long. Im a firm believer that the most important thing in the whole car is good oil.
    Or does the variable servicing sensors monitor the quality of the oil so as long as it reads ok it is actually ok?
    And if i did change it ive been told by someone that it will kick the car out of the variable service regime and will go into fixed service mode or could just not register when to change any more and also might mess up the service pattern too.
    can anyone clear up these queries?
    Thanks
  2. Macduff

Macduff Member

Pretty sure the car has to be specifically changed to fixed mode servicing. The oil quality is monitored so in theory, changing it will increase the miles left to service.

I ran ours on variable until the first service at 17.5k. I then had it changed to fixed as we now do shorter journeys and more cold starts.

If I were you, I'd change to 10k fixed servicing unless the car is doing lots of easy motorway miles with few cold starts.