1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing oil and filter - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by eddscott, Mar 21, 2012.

1. eddscott

eddscott Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    My 170 TDI is in the dealers today for its injectors to be replaced.

They called to say the oil needs changing and wanted £150+Vat.

I said I would do it myself but not sure what oil to use and where to get the filter from.

Should I get the filter from Audi? I would rather use genuine Audi rather than patern.

I've read that the 170 should have long life oil because its got the DPF - I'm due to have the DPF on mine removed and mapped so not sure if I should not just get normal oil.

I'll be changing once a year myself rather than keeping to long life servicing.

Is 5W30 Long life oil the stuff to get?

Also - will 5L be enough for a change and should I put a flush through first? They said the oil is really quite bad and its been on long life service up till now.

Thanks
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. gavsman

gavsman Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    You should be able to buy the Oil & filter from Audi - prob cost about £50 all in with you doing the work
  4. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    I got my oil from euro car parts, 28quid for 5 litres. I got my filter from v dub. Bout 7 quid
  5. eddscott

eddscott Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    Thats a good price. Was going to use Millers buying from Opie for £55.

I'll get the filter from Audi when I pick up the car this afternoon. Going to order RS4 ARB at the same time.

Should I do a flush at the same time?

I don't have access to a pit or a lift so would it be ok on ramps? I've got ramps.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. deian3387

deian3387 Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    The only thing with doing it on ramps is that the under tray is a bit tricky to get off without turning the steering but it should be ok
  7. eddscott

eddscott Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    Might sound like a silly question but where is the filter located?

I've picked up the car and the filter isn't like what I imagine oil filters to look like - metal can type.
  8. deian3387

deian3387 Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    It's a 2.0 tdi ye? it's under the plastic engine cover (top of the engine on the right hand side) you should see a plastic housing with a hex head on top
  9. murran

murran Active Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    agreed, under the engine cover on the left, its a round black cap, 32 or a 36mm hex head on it (half inch socket and ratchet is best), remove it and take the filter element off it and put the new one in it, change the ring seal on the cap with the new supplied one.
    you shouldnt struggle to get the undertray off on ramps.
    19mm ring spanner for the sump plug. dont over tighten it putting it back in around 35nm torque i think.
    a flush wouldnt hurt, and would help keeping the new oil looking clean.
    5l more than enough, you should have bout half a litre left over iirc.
  10. APAutomotive

APAutomotive Shark Performance Shropshire

[Mar 21, 2012]
    Use a good quality 5/30 longlife oil, obviously there are the premium brands (castrol,mobil) but the lower priced brands are that are good quality are morris & quantum(TPS). Don't use halfords own or such like.

If yo want to stay as close to OE as poss I think Mann filters are OE filters, so ask for this brand if you use a motor factor.
  11. GISXER711

GISXER711 New Member

[Mar 21, 2012]
    i have never had a problem with after market parts , just use a 5-30 full sym oil and a oil filter .

with engine flush - i always use the small can which you put in engine and run for 5mins then dump oil and take off old oil filter.
    replace new filter and fill with oil

long life oil thats **** , i would never go more then a year with a service
  12. APAutomotive

APAutomotive Shark Performance Shropshire

[Mar 21, 2012]
    longlife is fully synthetic oil, when you use this oil it doesn't mean you can't change it regularly.
  13. harmless

harmless Member

[Mar 24, 2012]
    I've been getting my oil from Asda ccheapest place for castrol edge full synth 30-5w oil filter 5.80 from local car parts place.. Makes it a lot cheaper than the stealers