Changing my rear number plate and found this!

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
The plate I took off was stuck on (remember my previous thread on asking how to remove them). On taking the plate off I found this pic 1. Looks like the thread for the screw fixing of the number plate is rusty. Right pic 2 on is rusty deeper in the thread (pic not very good and cannot see ver well).

Not happy with finding this and think I'll be visitign the dealer tomorrow. Do you think that I'm being too fussy ?

Can this be fixed easily. Just think if its left it would get worse. Is anyone else's car the same?

pic1
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/TGLEWIS1971/PICT3393.jpg
pic2
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/TGLEWIS1971/PICT3392.jpg

I had a MINI and changed the plates when I put my private plate on, through the Winter months with the Salt on the roads, that too happened with mine, nothing really much you can do except put a splodge of grease in it when your put in some new screws.

Aldo said:
I had a MINI and changed the plates when I put my private plate on, through the Winter months with the Salt on the roads, that too happened with mine, nothing really much you can do except put a splodge of grease in it when your put in some new screws.

Was concerned that the rust would spread if the nuts where integral, specially being behind the plate. Car is only 18months old.

Won't be using screws to refit, will be sticking on with those sticky pads.

cheers for the replies guys.

No I would be concerned too, as I was when I found it on the MINI, I wasn't planning on keeping the car for all it's life time so just did the Grease in the hole and re-fitted, certainly does go to show what happens with behind and underneath the body work of a car though.

Aldo said:
No I would be concerned too, as I was when I found it on the MINI, I wasn't planning on keeping the car for all it's life time so just did the Grease in the hole and re-fitted, certainly does go to show what happens with behind and underneath the body work of a car though.

Was it the new mini you had ?

Yeah it was an 03 Cooper S, these even have a plastic spacer lug between the plate and the metal!

My car is 2.5 months old and like this as well