1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing ignition barrel

harps21k Dec 20, 2009

1. harps21k

harps21k Member

Hi Guys,

I needed some advice about changing my ignition barrel on my A3. As the reader coil failed, so I sourced a brand new ignition barrel made for my current keys from Audi.

I read some post on google and have been adviced that I have to remove my steering wheel. Is this true?

Also I dont have to reprogram my keys as I am still going to use my old keys.

Do any of you guys have a step by step guide on how to change the barrel on my A3 P reg?

Thanks

2. harps21k

harps21k Member

This morning I started to look around from some workshop manuals and I found one. This help me to remove the barrel from the steering column. I didnt listen to the bit about removing the steering wheel, as I fiddled around and got the top and bottom plastic covers off. This saved me alot of time.

This is how to remove the barrel once the covers are removed I could not post the pictures, can anyone tell me how to do that:

1. Spare key is required for removal of lock cylinder as the following operations can only be performed with an ignition key with a flat grip, i.e. no light and no remote control.

2. Turn spare key to "ignition ON" position, thus aligning recess in trim -arrow- with hole in ignition lock.
    Note:

3. Insert steel wire or pin ( ø approx. 1.5 mm) in hole -1- as far as it will go, at the same time pulling lock cylinder -2- with reader coil out of steering lock housing -3-.
    Note:

If lock cylinder has to be replaced, always heed specifications for immobilizer reader coil replacement.

Installing
    Install in reverse order, paying attention to the following:

‒ Insert spare key in lock cylinder and turn to "ignition on" position.
    - Re-insert steel wire/pin -1- in hole on end face as far as it will go.
    ‒ Insert lock cylinder -2- with reader coil in steering lock housing -3-.
    ‒ Then pull out steel wire and firmly press in lock cylinder until catch is heard to engage.
    ‒ Plug in connector at immobilizer reader coil.