CHANGING HEADLIGHTS AND SIDELIGHTS 8P HELP

TommyDP

Reaction score
DaylightHi,

Trying to change my headlight and sidelight bulbs on my Audi to a whiter, nicer light.

Headlight was easy enough to find and a bit of a challenge to replace from the yellow light to a newer whiter H7 bulb. Situated in the picture below. (In daylight doesn't looks very strong but is great in the night as also shown)

Healight Headlights at night

Now, here is the tricky part. The sidelight. As you can see in the above picture, the sidelight is on while the headlight is, so having a white light with the original yellow-ish one isn't what i'm after. I want all white.

Ive taken the bumper off to take the whole light unit off the car to try and make things easier to look inside the light. (bit of a pain though as there are quite a few things attatched to the light unit). The PHILIPS W5W Blue Vision Sidelights are ones I bought to replace the sidelight, but have now found that the side light is also the Daylight Running Light (DRL). Shown below. The stronger light is the daylight and the weaker light is the sidelight.

Inside of Light UnitDaylightSidelightSidelight bulbs

This is the right 'circle cover' of the light unit (closest to the side of the car). Ive found that the daylight (DRL) and sidelight are the same bulb and the sidelight just uses less voltage than the daylight when turned on. (Im pretty sure, if wrong please correct me) .

So the problem is, ive bought these W5W blue vision sidelights which looks like they dont fit as when I took the daylight/sidelight bulb out it was as shown below. Any ideas what bulb it may be? Is it another H7 like the headlight which mean ill need ot buy a new one? or am I just being blind and cant find the actual sidelight bulb?

Bulb outBulb dismantled

Thanks

P.S. no idea why the picture below is on the thread. cant seem to get rid of it so please ignore as its wrong

Attachments

• Inisde of headlight.jpg
    Inisde of headlight.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 642
Yes you need a PS19W fitting.

This is a good post as l was planning on doing the same thing, do u really need to take bumper off though.

This is a good post as l was planning on doing the same thing, do u really need to take bumper off though.

You dont have to take the bumper off to change the lights but they really are a pain to get to. other people have said you can take the front wheels off and the wheel arch inside covering to get at them which you can (looking like great difficulty though if you have big hands) as this is the way ill be fitting the sidelights once I buy them!
I only took my bumper off as the same time I was fitting the rs3 grill so thought may as well take the light units out at the same time.

I also found out that the PHILIPS W5W bulbs that I bought thinking were the side lights are actually bulbs for the Golf Mk 6 rear number plate lights!

I also found out that the PHILIPS W5W bulbs that I bought thinking were the side lights are actually bulbs for the Golf Mk 6 rear number plate lights!

They're the correct bulbs for the 8P1 and 8P2 sidelights.