Changing headlight bulbs - frustrating job!

alex350r

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I attempted to change the headlight & main beam bulbs on my Audi A4 (B7) the other day but didn't have much luck! I followed this guide - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-technical-how/88194-headlight-bulb-change-a4-2006-b7.html as I figured it would transfer over to a B7 fairly well. I started with the drivers side headlamp but despite undoing all the bolts the light just wouldn't pull out - it was like something else was holding it in? As for the passenger side that was even more of a nightmare as one of the bolts looks to be so far down that you need a massively long torx screwdriver to get it to it. In the end I decided to just replace the main beam ones in site - this was an absolute PITA and something I wish I hadn't started! I've never sweared so much in my life! In the end thought I managed to do the main beam ones so I've just got the headlight ones left to do. Is there an updated guide anywhere for a B7? Anyone got any tips??

Cheer

the front bumper holds the unit in place as there is a bottom lip on the headlight assembly.Best to remove the front bumper (5 min job now I've done it a few times) before removing the headlight.

There is no need to remove the headlight to change the bulbs. You can get enough access behind the passenger side and simply remove the air intake on the drivers side.
When putting the bulbs back in it may help to plug them in first and then insert into the headlight.

Reactions: marky67
Don't get me started on this subject. How on the hell do you change indicator bulbs without taking the bumper off?

all bulbs "can" be changed in situ, but its much quicker and easier to pull the bumper off. Wheels dont need to come off or anything! If you do want to do it in situ, the indicators can (just about) be reached through the wheel well. you may need to move the water bottle to access it though. That alone makes it worth pulling the bumper, and pull out the headlight assembly.

Yes, I take your point, but for some of us, taking the bumper off is not an easy job but a major undertaking.

Reactions: sidibear and Molnboman
front bumper is pretty easy.
1. turn car wheels to full lock.
2. remove torq screws (3) from the front edge of the inner wheel well
3. remove 2 torq screws from bumper
4. remove 2 10mm nuts from bumper (1 on top of the other). use a couple of extensions and a ratchet to make it easier
5. repeat for the opposite side
6. remove 3 quick release fasters using flat-head screwdriver holding skid plate underneath car
7. open bonnet
8. remove 3 hex bolts - 1 perfect center, 2 each side. 
9. gently remove bumper and disconnect 2 wiring plugs and water plug from passanger side.

Done. Once done, you can remove the headlights with 1 bolt removal and 2 bolts being loosened. Should take 30 mins the first time you do it, but after that it is very quick. I found even taking the longest time possible, it was still easier than getting into the headlight bulbs in situ. The indicators are imo impossible to get to without removing the bumper. While its dooable, removing other components to get to them (and you have to do a large portion of the bumper removal steps anyway) and the scratches, pain, etc to your hands make sure its not really an option in situ. I have very small hands (quite luck for a engineer in that!), and I still struggle to access the back of the headlight units.

Reactions: A4_MaJiK and jdp1962
front bumper is pretty easy.
1. turn car wheels to full lock.
2. remove torq screws (3) from the front edge of the inner wheel well
3. remove 2 torq screws from bumper
4. remove 2 10mm nuts from bumper (1 on top of the other). use a couple of extensions and a ratchet to make it easier
5. repeat for the opposite side
6. remove 3 quick release fasters using flat-head screwdriver holding skid plate underneath car
7. open bonnet
8. remove 3 hex bolts - 1 perfect center, 2 each side. 
9. gently remove bumper and disconnect 2 wiring plugs and water plug from passanger side.

Done. Once done, you can remove the headlights with 1 bolt removal and 2 bolts being loosened. Should take 30 mins the first time you do it, but after that it is very quick. I found even taking the longest time possible, it was still easier than getting into the headlight bulbs in situ. The indicators are imo impossible to get to without removing the bumper. While its dooable, removing other components to get to them (and you have to do a large portion of the bumper removal steps anyway) and the scratches, pain, etc to your hands make sure its not really an option in situ. I have very small hands (quite luck for a engineer in that!), and I still struggle to access the back of the headlight units.

I may well go down this route next time. I too have small hands (coincidently also in the engineering trade) and my scratched my hands up till they looked like they had been attacked by a cat who had mistaken them for mice. :sadlike: But determination got the better of me and an hour later I had managed to do it without removing the bumper.

I was very lucky and fortunate that a great member off here, V6 Quatt, came and gave me a hand to do mine, or rather did all the work while I stood there looking useless !

Reactions: rizzini7
If anyone is in the Wiltshire area (or Bristol) and need any help with their Audi, I am more than happy to lend a hand (and depending on work possible use of lift/garage)

Reactions: sidibear
There is no need to remove the headlight to change the bulbs. You can get enough access behind the passenger side and simply remove the air intake on the drivers side.
When putting the bulbs back in it may help to plug them in first and then insert into the headlight.

Ok thanks - i'll have another go and try not to get so frustrated this time!!

Cheers