Changing halogen headlights to Bi-xenons. What do I need to buy?

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question was answered before, but googling didn't help me so far.

I'm considering to replace my 2012 A3 8PA SE halogen headlights with bi-xenon headlights. I need to make a budget first. What do I need to buy? So far I think of:

1. Headlights (obviously). Are these OE numbers correct for a LHD car 8P0941003BE / 8P0941004BE ? Do the last two letters mean anything?
2. Front bumper. My car isn't equipped with headlight washers, so I need a new bumper with the washers. I'm thinking of a S-line bumper (not S3), perhaps off a breaking yard.
3. What else do I need?
- a washer pump? Should it be this part: 3B7955681 ? Do I need one or two?
- washer jets?
- any pipes to lead the washer liquid to the jets?
- a new washer liquid tank with a possibility to install a washer pump? Can I fit the pump to an existing tank?
- any additional cables or plugs?
- is headlight leveling built in the bi-xenon headlights or is there any equipment for it?
- should I edit anything via VCDS after the headlight change?

Please let me know if there is a guide to replacing the halogens with the bi-xenons. I didn't find it.

Thank you. I thought the auto leveling was built in the headlights. It's required by law in Denmark, so I'm sure I need it. €325 isn't cheap though. As I'm going to try and get a used bumper off ebay, I'll try to source all the other parts off the same seller, if I'm happy.

Great to see another Dane the forum. Hope you get the headlights fixed. I had the 8P 2008 pre-facelift before but never got to the headlights.

Reactions: dp_motley
Great to see another Dane the forum. Hope you get the headlights fixed. I had the 8P 2008 pre-facelift before but never got to the headlights.
I've been considering it for a while, but the price of this mod held me back, until last week. I damaged the left corner and now I need to replace at least one headlight (plus a bumper, a hood and a wing), so I decided to fit the bi-xenons.

@Ash187, would you mind answering a few questions?
- where is the headlight control unit located? Behind the glovebox?
- do kufatec provide a buyer with a detailed instruction? I'm asking because I think you bought from them already.
Thanks in advance.

Headlight leveller is located in rhd models on drivers side above the left foot under the trim to the left of the steering column.
The main cem is located on the right side of the steering column. You will need to wire in the levelling system to the canbus network for it to work
The other wires for the bi-xenon headlights go to the cem.

The cem is the central electrics module. That's responsible for the lights, high beam, Drl etc.

The adapter cables make it easier to install the xenons however they are not always wired correctly.
Remember you need to buy an adapter for the year of your car not the year of the lights.

The cem is the central electrics module. That's responsible for the lights, high beam, Drl etc.

The adapter cables make it easier to install the xenons however they are not always wired correctly.
Remember you need to buy an adapter for the year of your car not the year of the lights.
The adapter i linked to is for a fl a3 with leds. I think I have to ask kufatec if my choice is right.

You wrote that adapters make intallation easier. Does that mean they are unnecessary? Are the plugs different or do I can just repin them?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I normally repin the connectors as the halogen is a 10 pin connector and the xenon is a 14 pin connector.
There is loads of info already here in this site so to stop myself repeating what's already here have a search... kufatec wiring will do what you want but there are other ways too.

I just bought the kufatec auto-leveling set and headlight cleaning system harness. They state in their product description that "Distinguishing feature of bi-xenon and AFS headlights are the 14-pin connector, required adapters are included in this case". I bet I don't need to buy an adapter I linked to earlier".

Finally, after 12 days, Kufatec sent out my purchase. As I received an invoice, I was able to download an installation instruction. In it, I read
" NOTE: In vehicles from the 2010 model year without ASF the front sensor is omitted.". Do I understand it correct that I don't need to install the front levelling sensor? My car is my 2012.

The headlights are retrofitted and coded. All the functions work. However, there's a problem with a high beam of a left headlight. It doesn't work. When the low beam is off and only DRL are on and I try to blink with the main beam, the right one blinks and I hear how a shutter clicks. The left one flashes with a low beam though and I don't hear that the shutter clicks :( When I have a low beam on and try to flash with a high beam or turn the hight beam on, the right one switches to the high beam only. The left one remains low.

I see two options:
1. the kufatec adapter wiring on the left headlight is messed up or...
2. the left headlight has a shutter defect (I bought both headlights off a Polish seller at Allegro.pl).

I hope the first one is the culprit, because if the headlight has a shutter defect, it should be replaced (not cheap). I'm going to disconnect the right headlight and connect its adapter to the left one. If it works, I'll have to check the wiring. If it wouldn't work, the shutter is dead. Does it sound like a plan? Did I miss anything?

The issue was simple: a small plug that connects to the shutter on a projector inside the headlight was not connected and just hang loose. Fixed.

I've got another issue. The autolevelling system was fitted and coded today. It doesn't work. The error that VCDS shows ir related to the motors inside the headlights. A guy who coded said that I should look at adapters first as kufatec could mess with wiring. Other suggestions?