Changing gear

Adieu Earth

Reaction score
My first day of ownership and I'm finding gear changes a bit hit and miss. I've never driven a car with a 6 speed box before so I've had a few problems when changing down from 6th to 5th. I hit 3rd a few times or hit neutral resulting in grinding noises :(

Is it just a case of getting used to the box or maybe applying a bit more force on the lever when selecting the gear :unsure:

I initially found the gear change was very notchy when i first got the car but after a while i got used to it and no more missed gears.

I find that the box desn't really like being rushed.

My first day of ownership and I'm finding gear changes a bit hit and miss. I've never driven a car with a 6 speed box before so I've had a few problems when changing down from 6th to 5th. I hit 3rd a few times or hit neutral resulting in grinding noises :(

Is it just a case of getting used to the box or maybe applying a bit more force on the lever when selecting the gear :unsure:

i was the same too but it seems I drive transits more than my car nowadays and they are like stirring porrage. I have find it easier now though - unless I try to get flash LOL

A friend of mine drove my previous A3,and she commented that it felt a lot more notchy than her aged A4,maybe they need a lot of breaking in.

I think they do need to be treated gently...my brother kept putting it into third instead of first when i asked him to move it...followed by comments like 'stupid ****** German thing'! He won't touch the S3 now!