1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing gear

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Adieu Earth, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Adieu Earth

Adieu Earth New Member

[Sep 27, 2008]
    My first day of ownership and I'm finding gear changes a bit hit and miss. I've never driven a car with a 6 speed box before so I've had a few problems when changing down from 6th to 5th. I hit 3rd a few times or hit neutral resulting in grinding noises :(

Is it just a case of getting used to the box or maybe applying a bit more force on the lever when selecting the gear :unsure:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[Sep 27, 2008]
    I initially found the gear change was very notchy when i first got the car but after a while i got used to it and no more missed gears.

I find that the box desn't really like being rushed.
  4. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Sep 29, 2008]
    i was the same too but it seems I drive transits more than my car nowadays and they are like stirring porrage. I have find it easier now though - unless I try to get flash LOL
  5. Fast,not furious

Fast,not furious Dealing with an OCD

[Sep 30, 2008]
    A friend of mine drove my previous A3,and she commented that it felt a lot more notchy than her aged A4,maybe they need a lot of breaking in.

I think they do need to be treated gently...my brother kept putting it into third instead of first when i asked him to move it...followed by comments like 'stupid bloody German thing'! He won't touch the S3 now!