1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing gear

Adieu Earth Sep 27, 2008

1. Adieu Earth

Adieu Earth New Member

My first day of ownership and I'm finding gear changes a bit hit and miss. I've never driven a car with a 6 speed box before so I've had a few problems when changing down from 6th to 5th. I hit 3rd a few times or hit neutral resulting in grinding noises :(

Is it just a case of getting used to the box or maybe applying a bit more force on the lever when selecting the gear :unsure:

2. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

I initially found the gear change was very notchy when i first got the car but after a while i got used to it and no more missed gears.

I find that the box desn't really like being rushed.

3. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

i was the same too but it seems I drive transits more than my car nowadays and they are like stirring porrage. I have find it easier now though - unless I try to get flash LOL

4. Fast,not furious

Fast,not furious Dealing with an OCD

A friend of mine drove my previous A3,and she commented that it felt a lot more notchy than her aged A4,maybe they need a lot of breaking in.

I think they do need to be treated gently...my brother kept putting it into third instead of first when i asked him to move it...followed by comments like 'stupid bloody German thing'! He won't touch the S3 now!