Changing ECU between cars?

Nick101

Boost fiend
Reaction score
(sorry about the long sentencing, wont let me hit return to paragraph) Hi folks, looking at a car that's got stage 2 mods, but not mapped to stage 2, I might be in a position to buy my old ECU back from my last car that had custom code stage 2 mapping on it. My old car was a 97 A3 1.8T sport, AGU engine, no aircon, with sunroof. New one is also AGU but a 99 on a T, has aircon, no sunroof with heated seats, and has stage 2 mods but is currently stage 1 mapped. I am wondering if I was to swap ECU's, would it be compatible with the new car? Cheers.

whos stage 1 map? i beleive revo maps costs £50 or so to upgrade from a stage 1 to 2, cheeper than buying and re doing an other ecu?
mark

Will have to check, not sure how much the ECU is going to cost yet, but its worth bearing in mind the upgrade if it is Revo. Anyone know if I could switch the ECU's if I wanted to?

If they are both agu engines, yes you can swap ecu's. Coding the immobiliser on an agu is a 2 second job too.
Revo never did a stage 2 map for dbc engines.

Oh yea, didnt think about the immob.

How hard of a job would it be to recode the immob to the new ECU? Could it be done via vag com?

Cheers mate! Maybe going to see the car tomorrow so will see what's what. Hopefully that info will come in handy. Thanks again!