1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing brake fluid, using expired fluid ?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by snowfree52, Mar 11, 2014.

1. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

Hi,

I'm going to change my brakes by a Porsche BBK. I have at home some Motul RBF600, but it's around 4 years old.

I never opened the bottles, they are brand new. I think it says "best before 2011" on it.

Do you guys think I can use it ?

Regards

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl
    VCDS Map User Black Edition

If its got the aluminium/plastic heat seal on the top of the bottle (like a plastic milk bottle seal) it will be fine.

If not - junk it.

4. RossR

RossR Active Member

There's a nautical saying involving half a penny of tar that comes to mind.

Seriously - if you're going to mess around with one of the most important safety systems of a £30,000 car, don't skimp on £20 worth of fluid.

Anarch likes this.
  5. snowfree52

It's not about messing around, it's more about not wasting and throwing away something that can be used.

It's like those canned foods, it says best before X but 3 years later you still can eat it.

6. Anarch

Anarch Member

I'm with RossR on this one - just don't. I'm always extra paranoid about brakes and wouldn't take any chances.

7. RossR

RossR Active Member

Have you seen the recent VW advert with the climber who buys a second had rope? What you're doing is like buying a second hand rope and an expensive premium brand harness. Sure it might be fine, but is it worth the saving?

I've said my piece. Do what you want - but you did ask for advice.

8. snowfree52

Again, It's not about saving. I couldn't care less about it since I'm not even paying for the fluid. I just absolutely hate wasting things that can still be used.

Then again, if everybody is telling me not to do it, I won't

9. Diamond White

Diamond White New Member

I think you should do as you think best. You can afford a very expensive car, and obviously have good mechanical nous, so you're clearly not stupid. So why do you need other people's approval.
    Personally, I'd probably use it.

10. snowfree52

well nobody should ever stop learning :detective2:

11. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral
    Team Ibis Audi S3

The thing is,from a sealed container,never opened it will PROBABLY be fine.

Probably,however,wouldn't suit me with respects to anything brake related.

Anarch likes this.
  12. Joetidman

Joetidman Well-Known Member

Personally i wouldn't. It's brake fluid after all. Major issue will be moisture ingress and whilst a tight seal would probably be ok, 2-3 years is a pretty long time. A PE container can leak on a microscopic level enough to let moisture in. The expiry will have been based on some stability testing over time and will have been labelled on the safe side but 2-3 years is a long way over. Your call but I wouldn't. Screen wash yes, brake fluid no

RossR and S3Alex like this.
  13. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Had a quick look around brake fluid seems to have a 2 year shelf life. It contains anti corrosion inhibiters and other stuff that lose there effectiveness over time. So although it won't have absorbed any moisture it will only be maybe 80% as good as new fluid
    Because it is very good stuff in the first place it's probably better than a lot of new bog standard brake fluid.
    But as you are going to be putting it in a car that may push it to the limits a bit more I think I would get some new.
    If I was for a boggo standard car I would use it.

Karl.