1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing aux belt tensioner alternator pulley

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by choimaloy, May 31, 2012.

1. choimaloy

choimaloy Member

Hi all I've got a new belt tensioner and clutch pulley for my 1.9 tdi awx,can these be changed without having to take the front end off as I've only ever took the bumper off and not sure how to do removal of the rest.
  2. wallace78

wallace78 Member

im on the same boat as u as my tensioner went last nite,goina be watching this one m8
  3. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

Yes, take the front off by all means but there is more than enough room down the front to get the 3 bolts out to change the tensioner.

What a clutch pulley? Never heard of it!
    Edit... Clutch pulley for the alternator? Again you'll have enough room, it's easier when you've done one before but it's possible.
  4. Ian-83

Ian-83 Member

Should both be possible without removing the front end.
  5. demus

demus Fire in the hole !!

The front end doesnt need removing, after the bumper is off, the front panel will slide forwards about 6 inches.
    I think you remove the bolts around the impact absorbers, and there is an M8 tapped hole to screw a length of studding into, to support the front panel.
    Two bolts each side on the top panel near the wings.
    You dont need to disconnect anything, apart from the air intake, two screws...
    Sounds bad but is real easy once you've done it....
    if you do decide to go for it, just mark around each bolt to be sure its all back in its original position on refitting....
  6. murran

murran Active Member

both jobs are possible with the front still on. awx think these still have a viscous fan dont they? only problem is the viscous fan being in the way of the lower alternator bolt. you need to remove the viscous via the 8mm allen key on the back side of the side mounting bracket, while stopping the fan pulley turning.

but if you did strip the front end to bring it forward.... you wouldnt need to remove the alternator from the car. ive done them in place while doing cambelts.

do you have the splined tool for the pulley?