1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing an injection engine to a turbo

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by 04061969, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 04061969

04061969 New Member

i have an A6 2.4 SE and was wondering if anyone had ever put a turbo on it? is it even possible?? can you put a bi-turbo off a 2.7 on it? or do you have to change the whole engine?

i used to have a bmw 328is convertible and im getting bored of the performance.

if this isnt possible what is to make it move?

thanks

chris

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. dummi

dummi smoking a6

yes i think you can bolt the turbos straight on, i'm selling my biturbo kit from 2.7t , i have upgraded to rs4 turbos and will have completed the conversion in april, if you do it let me know i can help from what i have done, and i'd be interested seeing it done to a 2.4 which should be very punchy with its smaller capacity than 2.7t ,

parts i have are - turbos , inlet piping, intercoolers and piping, clutch flywheel, pressure plate, injectors, inlet manifold

only thing i haven't got is exhaust manifold and all gaskets

4. enda1

enda1 Member

Turbo engines usually run at a lower compression ratio than a standard engine. i think this is to take account of the greater density and volume of the charge coming into the cylinder. I'm no expert but usually this would be a big job involving different conrods/crankshaft. Bolting a turbo stright on without any other work will probably just blow your engine.

5. dummi

dummi smoking a6

thats true you'd be limited to low boost on stock engine, maybe you want to try AndyC on this forum builds engines at his company GDI , though it would probably be better to start of with a turbo'd base car to get a really good result, interesting project keep forum updated

6. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

technicially4 a quick fix n to lower compression to run a higher boost just fit a thicker head gasket in.
    don't know how much, u'd have to work that out n find out the max compression ur engine could take n the boost produced at peak to make sure the engine dont blow!