1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing an injection engine to a turbo

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by 04061969, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 04061969

04061969 New Member

[Mar 15, 2006]
    i have an A6 2.4 SE and was wondering if anyone had ever put a turbo on it? is it even possible?? can you put a bi-turbo off a 2.7 on it? or do you have to change the whole engine?

i used to have a bmw 328is convertible and im getting bored of the performance.

if this isnt possible what is to make it move?

thanks

chris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 20, 2014]

3. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Mar 15, 2006]
    yes i think you can bolt the turbos straight on, i'm selling my biturbo kit from 2.7t , i have upgraded to rs4 turbos and will have completed the conversion in april, if you do it let me know i can help from what i have done, and i'd be interested seeing it done to a 2.4 which should be very punchy with its smaller capacity than 2.7t ,

parts i have are - turbos , inlet piping, intercoolers and piping, clutch flywheel, pressure plate, injectors, inlet manifold

only thing i haven't got is exhaust manifold and all gaskets
  4. enda1

enda1 Member

[Mar 16, 2006]
    Turbo engines usually run at a lower compression ratio than a standard engine. i think this is to take account of the greater density and volume of the charge coming into the cylinder. I'm no expert but usually this would be a big job involving different conrods/crankshaft. Bolting a turbo stright on without any other work will probably just blow your engine.
  5. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Mar 16, 2006]
    thats true you'd be limited to low boost on stock engine, maybe you want to try AndyC on this forum builds engines at his company GDI , though it would probably be better to start of with a turbo'd base car to get a really good result, interesting project keep forum updated
  6. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

[Jun 15, 2006]
    technicially4 a quick fix n to lower compression to run a higher boost just fit a thicker head gasket in.
    don't know how much, u'd have to work that out n find out the max compression ur engine could take n the boost produced at peak to make sure the engine dont blow!