1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing a xenon bulb - Help please

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 Harj, Oct 8, 2010.

1. S3 Harj

S3 Harj Member

[Oct 8, 2010]
    Right.. have the new bulbs but not too sure how to fit.

I've managed to get into the headlight cluster from the back and twist the connection off. Now there looks to be a black holder in place which i dont want to force out the wrong way, i'm told to twist to release the bulb, but which way?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

[Oct 8, 2010]
  4. HerefordQuattro

HerefordQuattro Member

[Oct 8, 2010]
    guessing they genuine original HID's so will be same fitting as mine (I hope) the high voltage connector twists off (take care very high voltage do not turn lights on with this disconected as it will arc!!)

Then you are left with a black plastic holder which you twist anti-clockwise to remove, i know what you mean about breaking it as it really isn't a nice design of holder and doesn't feel like it wants to un-screw (feels like it's about to shatter the whole lot in your hand) but trust me it only takes a 1/4 turn and it will be off.

Obviously don't touch the bulb (even more important with HID's than halogen) to put back together is again quite naff feeling, the bulb doesn't want to sit sweetly and you need very nimble fingers to hold the bulb in place and then delicately manoeuvre the black plastic holder over it then twist back into place (the holder has a 'TOP' mark on it so line it up to twist up)

**** discription but good luck
  5. S3 Harj

S3 Harj Member

[Oct 9, 2010]
    thank you guys.. great info.

The only bit thats confusing me is the anti-clockwise rotation. The diagram shows both the gas connector and the black holder twists off in a anti-clockwise direction yet the arrows are pointing in differents ways?????

If im standing at the front of the car with my head under the bonnet over the right headlight the gas connector comes off in a anti-clockwise direction, would the holder come off in the same way?
  6. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

[Oct 9, 2010]
    LOL, you are right...

If you look at the power connector from the side (with a mirror maybe) you should see the direction in which you need to twist them. The holder will be in the opposite direction I guess.
  7. S3 Harj

S3 Harj Member

[Oct 9, 2010]
    Thanks again guys.. all done this morning.

The first one took about 45 mins. But once i worked it out and got to grips with it the second bulb only took 5 mins.

S3 has its blue eyes back. Sorted..