changin grill

dan77

dan77
Reaction score
been away from this forum for a while, as i sold my old 2002 A3 1.8t to buy a mk4 golf gttdi, as i needed the economy, but now im lookin at a new shape A3 s-line's im just wonderin is it possible to change from twin front grille with the number plate mounted on the solid plastic bit to the one big grill as i think this looks alot better,

edit - just been lookin around on here so this might be easier to understand, can i put an 8P2 front grill In an 8P1 bumper?

Last edited:
yea mate quite a few on here have done it, a search will bring it up

Oh yes you can, I've done the S3 front, click on my build thread in my sig and its all there! Go for it, it looks great when done

Thanks for the rapid replies peeps, thats gonna by my first mod then, just hope this one im going to see tomorrow is all its advertised to be,

HTML:
Yes quite easy and loads of people done it. Just need the new front bumper, grill and bonnet. Also depending on what conversion you do new fog lights and surround. Can get most parts on eBay. Check the FAQ there a few threads there aswell as Sarah thread. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Last edited:
i was hopin to be able to do it without changin the bumper, i only thought this might be possible because on an 8p1 theres looks like theres 2 lines that follow the sides of the upper and lower grill as if that peice of the bumper came out aswell, anyone see what i mean or am just seein things

Ah, I did a temp mod to the twin grills to make it look like the single grill. Was easy to do and cost next to nothing too! Painted the middle part and the lower/top edges of the chrome grills with Halford Satin Black and used some chrome strips to join up to the original chrome on the grills.

18d42f82.jpg

i was hopin to be able to do it without changin the bumper, i only thought this might be possible because on an 8p1 theres looks like theres 2 lines that follow the sides of the upper and lower grill as if that peice of the bumper came out aswell, anyone see what i mean or am just seein things

Yeah i can see what you mean. But no you cant, you can pick up s-line front bumpers on ebay for less than £130 (just need a respray). And you have to change the bonnet. As the bonnet wont line up with the grill and will with a few mm gaps on each side

oh, i really want the single, i will go and see this one tomorrow anyway because it is really low mileage and if its in the condition that the fella says it i might go for it and then save my pennys to do the conversion

I regret buying a split grille A3, far simpler to just pay a little extra and get a uni-grille model, it's easily going to cost £500 to convert to single grille.