1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed my interior and license plate light bulbs to LEDs.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by xnox202, May 26, 2010.

1. xnox202

xnox202 Member

A little update:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior lamps are from my local autostore. Pretty nice, lots of LEDs and very bright. Blue/white-ish looking. As for the license plate, did the trick with resistors on each bulb (150 Ohms) on Lucid Leds. Purple/white-ish looking.. kinda matches the front DRL LEDs I supposed.

:beer:

I can't wait till it's night time so I can take pictures of how they would look like in the dark. :D
  2. S3 BUH

S3 BUH Member

looks really smart mate great pics , like the glove box LED very useful :icon_thumright:
  3. V16

V16 Member

definitely looks better! i hate the standard light colour. can u tell me the size of the leds in the glove box and boot?
  4. BOSSS3

BOSSS3 Member

Looks very neat bud! :icon_thumright:

Shoud come like that from the factory!
  5. xnox202

xnox202 Member

Glove box and boot are the same as this one:

[​IMG]

And, don't get the Lucid Leds! Somehow, mine turned really deep blue after a 20 minute drive. I was about to admire it and take a peek after I parked when I found that out. Going to change the LEDs as of the interior. Hope it works well.

Cheers everyone for the comment. Yes! These LEDs should had come stock on these cars. It really sports an "exclusive" feeling while you're in it. :D
  6. xnox202

xnox202 Member

Some night time shots. Notice the rear license plate lamps (By Lucid Leds) are really blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the best camera, but you get the idea. Going to change those Lucid Leds so should match with everything nicely.
  7. xnox202

xnox202 Member

Swapped the Lucid Leds out. In with the new ones. The color matches perfectly as with the interior too.

[​IMG]

The best place to be:

[​IMG]

:thumbup:
  8. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Great work bud, i must get round to doing this at some point
  9. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

That looks really nice! you must be very chuffed!

I want to do this on my sportback but have no idea where to get the LED's from, i want ones that i can just swap over and not have to put resistors on. any ideas guys? (im not good with soldering)
  10. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

I know this is a real old thread but i want to bump it as i am still wanting to do this kind of LED upgrade and have no idea where to start...
    Can anyone help me out?
  11. welshwoody

welshwoody Member

Ive been wanting to do this too just to have a crisper white light than the standard. I havent ordered any yet but was looking on ebay and saw these...
    ULTRA WHITE INTERIOR LED AUDI 80 90 100 A3 A4 A6 A8 GT on eBay (end time 17-Jan-11 00:24:36 GMT)

I sent a message about whether you would have to solder resistors on and this is the reply I had...
    Hi,

We do not recommend placing resistors on interior LED's, It literally can depend on the vehicle as to how it will function with the LED's. As long as the length of the bulb is correct we would expect it to be suitable :)

Kind Regards
    Matt
    24/7 Customer Support Team

But I read it as, try it, if they dont work then tough and havent bothered.
  12. tku

tku Member

Another one bites the dust.

Just put some in that I got from a shop and they look the nuts but unfortunately a fault has shown up! Argh so gutted, guess il be changing them back tomorrow.
  13. tku

tku Member

Anyone know if there's any side effects to driving around with the bulb fault?. I kinda love the lights sigh.
  14. Iain 750

Iain 750 Member

15. Smoothie

Smoothie Active Member

thought about doing this before, looks excellent, i've just done the number plate for now though
  16. tku

tku Member

What bulbs you got smoothie?

My car is a 2010 S3. Stupid DIS is lighting up. I just need bulbs that don't need tampering with I.E resistors etc cos I'm a dumbass.
  17. Iain 750

Iain 750 Member

The ones i have are ready to go but apparently the dis system is different in the newer a3's and is more sensitive..
  18. tku

tku Member

And yeah I read that thread already Iain. Cheers mate. However I know us MY10 peeps are having trouble finding a pair that works with no errors!
  19. tku

tku Member

Indeed they are. I spoke to a guy who had them on his 54 plate a3 ad thought I would copy and went to same shop but unfortunately it was an epic fail.
  20. Christer

Christer Engage the beige!

Looks great mate! Changed all the interior lights on mine earlier this week!

And I just spotted my next mod! :D
  21. Smoothie

Smoothie Active Member

i cant remember the exact bulbs mate, scottie off here recommended them to my and they've worked perfect, i know about the MY10 problems though as ive had a few guys asking me about them in that same position

sorry bud - hopefully someone finds a plug/play solution soon
  22. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

Just bought some off ebay, the ones in the other link that smoothie bought. Fitting them was a piece of cake, turned the lights on and neither worked, got the bulb warning. So i swapped them around the other way and still nothing, no lights, just the warning!

No idea why they dont work, my cars an 04. So i put the old ones in and gave up. However the old ones dont work either now and i have a bulb warning

i give up on these sort of mods, no idea what do do now!! FFS!!!
  23. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

I've got the same problem as you now Lee - mine is an 04 and lights worked before - tried the LED bulbs - didn't work in any direction - swapped them back and original lights don't work now either - great!
  24. khalil

khalil Member

had similer problem, just wondering when you did put the leds in you did switch the engine on??
    mines is at 04 too and i had the same problems like you until a switiched the engine on, also another thing is that make sure the connectors on the blub holders are touching the circuit in the car, maybe straighten them a little with some pliers, i did
  25. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

Yeah tried it ignition off and on, then turned the car on too, still nothing. Also tried locking the car up and starting a fresh but nope, nothing, I had a look at the connections and they are pretty straight anyway. My hands are freezing out there and the screwdrivers isnt the easiest to work with due to angle so i'll have another play tomorrow!
  26. khalil

khalil Member

ye i know what you mean mate it is cold out there,another way which you can try is get 2 wires and attach them to the bulb holder, that way when you connect the ends to the boot circuit you can easly swap the wires around to see if its works, i tried that way few weeks back when i did it on my brothers car,
    hope you sort it out mate
  27. evapor8

evapor8 Member

I'm still hoping that someone will come across some numberplate LED's that don't throw up the errors for 2009/10/11 cars.

Until then, I'll wait.

Chris
  28. slade777

slade777 Member

+1!!!!!
  29. Diamond

Diamond Member

+2!!!
  30. tku

tku Member

Just bought some resistors today. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes!
  31. erq55

erq55 New Member

can we have an update on your situation? :)
  32. nelson19uk

nelson19uk There's no poke without smoke!

I did this in my A4. I bought some led's from superbrightleds.com in the US and some off of ebay. The ones from Superbright were the best but the ebay ones were ****. One of them flickered all the time and another just didn't work at all. In my opinion you get what you pay for when it comes to led's.