change tiptronic to manual gearbox

hacek

www.a4-klub.pl
Reaction score
I'd like to ask how difficult and how expensive would it be to change gearbox from tiptronic to a manual on (2000 W) A4 2.8 quattro????? perhaps someone has done or tried to do it or has technical knowlegde on what else would need to be changed. In manual the car is nearly 2 seconds faster from 0 to 60mph and i'd like something faster but can't afford S4, please dont tell me to sell this car and buy a manual cos its not an option. thanks for any info.

This will be hugely expensive and pointless. The list of parts that will need changing is near endless. Hate to say it but you really are better off buying a manual car.

If selling your car is not an option then you're not going to have the cash to convert it. Also the logbook will still say Auto and sebsequently any future buyers would likely feel uneasy and walk away. You may even need to put the car through a VIC test to prove it's roadworthy although i doubt it. You'd be better leaving it as it is. I have a 2.8 tipt as well as an S4, The auto box is great and i'm sure it's not 2 seconds, more like .5 slower.

i agree with doeboy i dont think it really is 2secs slower ive driven both and theres not much in it, not enough to warrant the cost of converting it.

i love my tiptronic gives you option of being lazy and using it in auto but then when you want to have a bit of of a burn you can use the tiptronic and use it like a manual.

if you were really worried about the 0-60 times then maybe you should have waited til a manual car came up for sale

you are looking at a new ECU as the speedo is taken from the gear box by the ECU.
so to summarise:
gearbox, assorted drive shafts/bits, all connection between box and gear stick, all associated tubing, new flywheel, new clutch, new box mounts, new ECU, new clocks, new keys (new locks unless you want two keys for your car), not to mention the 30 hours labour it is going to take you to fit it, fix it and run it.

I looked at dropping a 6 speed in my 99 5 speed. not worth it....

thanks to everybody for the info. i'll stick to the "tip" :) , cheers