1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change headlamp bulbs??? Tell me I can, please?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Shink, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Shink

Shink New Member

I can't find a guide anywhere for this.

Is it possible to change the headlamp bulbs on an 03 A3 without taking it apart? The gap behind the lamp looks pretty small and there are several exposed wires. Last time I did this on a car it was a 'twist and pull' thing.

Trying not to go to a mechanic for this!

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. 08080808

08080808 Member

most bulbs can be changed without too much problems, other than losing skin from your knuckles... which bulbs do u want to change?

4. Shink

Shink New Member

I want to change the main beam and dipped beam.

5. 08080808

08080808 Member

i have heard of people doing it without taking off the bumper, but you will need small hands. also if you arent sure how the bulbs release and lock, there is the chance of scratching or cracking a bulb. but once the cover is off, if your dont have xenons then they are held in by metal wires (like a coat hanger) and they are just hooked on. once you see how they are held in it is easy to release them. take alook behind the headlight and it will make abit more sense!

6. wibble111

wibble111 needs to scratch the itch

It can be done without removing the bumper but it is very tight. I ended up taking out the battery when i changed mine to get more room.

7. GeneralWest

GeneralWest Member

I changed mine the other day, it's possible but but a bit fiddly due to lack of room. The only real problem was not being able to completly remove the plastic covers on the back of the lights due to the connector for the xenon's sticking out quite far. If you don't have xenon's it's probably much easier. Mines a pre-facelift but I wouldn't have thought it makes much difference. Just be carefull not to damage the headlight or bulbs. You'll probably lose some skin but that's all part of the fun!

8. Shink

Shink New Member

Batteries I can deal with.

Skin I can afford to lose.

As a backup, a local Audi garage as agree to do them for 30 minutes labour.

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go I reckon.