Change from manual to automatic transmission

IngenLimits

Lost in Norway
Reaction score
Website
www.ingenlimits.net
Hey!

My gearbox has gone to hell.
It is making all kinds of funny noises and it doesnt take any oil - it just pours right out at the bottom - after 10 seconds.

So, I think im looking at a possible transmission/gearboxchange here, and I though, why not just go automatic.

Car is '97 model, 1.6 engine. 2 door, if that has anything to say - whoom I doubt.

Does anyone know if it has been done before and prob what kind of parts would be needed except for the box, pedals and shifter (+ some interior parts)...?

Thank you very much for all constructive replies! =D

Robin Alexander.

i havnt got a clue what involved. but from pervious experience with other cars, id say forget it. cheaper to fix yours, sell up, and buy an auto.

but then again, id also say why do you want an auto anyway? autos are horrid. and a 1.6 auto may well be the single slowest thing on 4 wheels......

Why does everyone on this forum think the 1.6 A3 as crap?, it's obviously slow compared to other models of the range, but they are still ok... slow is a 1.4 Golf Mk4...

Buy yourself an Auto Ingen, it's cheaper that way.

jojo said:
Why does everyone on this forum think the 1.6 A3 as crap?, it's obviously slow compared to other models of the range, but they are still ok... slow is a 1.4 Golf Mk4...

Buy yourself an Auto Ingen, it's cheaper that way.

because it is jojo!

have you driven a 1.6 A3?

a mate of mines got a 1.6 mk4, which IS the same car underneath.

it does less MPG than my remapped 1.8T, even with me driving, it just WONT give more than 34mpg at all, its SO slow its just horrific, if it sees a hill you need to change down a gear instantly. its not a smooth engine, and generally seems really pointless.

i can imagine a 1.4 mk4 golf could well be the most boring car on this earth.

the 8L 1.6 isnt that bad. I was suprised at my friends.

The 8P 1.6 however.... well, the accellerator pedal may as well be a microswitch...

Prawn said:
because it is jojo!

have you driven a 1.6 A3?

a mate of mines got a 1.6 mk4, which IS the same car underneath.

it does less MPG than my remapped 1.8T, even with me driving, it just WONT give more than 34mpg at all, its SO slow its just horrific, if it sees a hill you need to change down a gear instantly. its not a smooth engine, and generally seems really pointless.

i can imagine a 1.4 mk4 golf could well be the most boring car on this earth.

Yes, I have driven one on many occasions, as my friend owns one. There's is no point comparing it with the 1.8T, even though they are the same chassis. What I'm saying is, for a bottom of the range car, it's not too bad at all... there's certainly slower, more boring cars in the market.

Thank you for the answers.
I am still looking into this, either, it has something to do with the oil level on the car, or the transmission itself is gone.

My choices are: Fix car and keep - preferably with an automatic transmission.
or, fix it and sell it, and buy myself something else (and more expensive and newer...).

One more question;
Do any one here know where I fill in the transmission fluid on the car?
There is two places that seem right to me. One is the green plastic thing, covered by a small black plastic hat: http://ingenlimits.net/a3/problemer/gir/03092007106.jpg

The other one is to the right of the green thing, some of it is on the picture - a metal tube thing sticking up with a black cap on.

Which is correct?

I tried filling some up in the green one (Which has a hole through it when the black cap is opened: http://ingenlimits.net/a3/problemer/gir/03092007107.jpg

But thats when the oil just went straight through and under my feet: http://ingenlimits.net/a3/problemer/gir/04092007115.jpg

Ill be happy for all the tips I can get as soon as possible, as I have to take it in for MOT Before the end of September.

Thank you!
=)

Lol the 8l 1.6 isn't THAT slow it's just annoying because the fuel consumption is pretty terrible for the engine size (as said 35mpg even on the motorway).

For what they are they're fine - back to the original question tho, no dont try and put an auto box in it it affects quite a few different components, even down to the steering column for some reason iirc