Change cast iron wishbones for pressed steel?

Juned Hussain

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently been told that i need new front lower wishbones. I have bought a pair and later find out that theres 2 types of wishbones for the audi a3 which is cast iron and pressed steel. Having no knowledge about wishbones i bought a pair and later find out that the ones i bought are pressed steel. I then checked my car and found out that my original ones are cast iron. I have lost my reciept so i can't return it. So my question is would the pressed steel ones still fit on my car without a problem and is it a straight swap? I've heard that all the bushing and ball joint positions are the same on both so it wouldn't cause a problem. Can someone confirm this. I have attached pictures of both cast iron and pressed steel. You can tell the holes are didferent on both but the bushings are the same

Attachments

• IMG_7246.JPG
    IMG_7246.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_7247.JPG
    IMG_7247.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 310
Sell your old ones on ebay and just buy the bushes to fit the old cast wishbones. They will have been cast for a reason. I.e. Strength. They are usually found on the higher end, more powerful models. I know that a lot of people changed from the steel to the cast ones as an upgrade.

I have done them before on a gold so before you remove the old ones make sure. Mine were so bad I ended smashing the old ball joints off so make sure it all fits before starting. Suggest you also get the tracking done after as mine handled like a boat and was way off after replacement even when being careful and spraying a bit of white paint where the old ones came off to make sure you get them in the same position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk