Ceramic Brake Pads

DMEX

Reaction score
I take delivery of my car this week and wish to install ceramic pads front and rear. According to ATE, these will not be available until next year. I really doubt Audi used pads unique to this model but I have searched the Internet and can find no cross-reference to the same pads used on other VAG products.
Because I am fairly lazy, I would rather not pull out the pads in my calipers just to get a part number. Can anyone here tell me what other cars use the same front and rear pads as a 2,0 TDI Sportback with 150PS?

No need is there? They dont even look any different do they?

There is almost no brake dust.
I installed them on the front of my A1 while leaving the rears standard. I drove the car from Guadalajara to Las Vegas and then to Los Angeles and after driving around there for nearly a week, the wheels on the rear were more dirty than the fronts.

I actually get hardly any brake dust on my rear wheels due to them only contributing about 30% towards the total braking. So how your rear wheels get more on them rather defies logic. Hell though it's your choice....

I drove the car over 3200Km before washing it and the rear wheels were grey rather than silver. The fronts looked cleaner.

I think the point he's making is that the ceramic pads produce so little dust that, when fitted to the front with standard pads on the rear, the rears produced more dust despite contributing far less to the total braking effort.

Reactions: pat15312, veeeight and CHEZ
Are there even such a thing as ceramic pads?
Mostly there are ceramic disks with specific pads, no ceramic pads.

They do make a difference, but i was on the understanding that it was due to lack of wear on the the disks....

There is almost no brake dust.
I installed them on the front of my A1 while leaving the rears standard. I drove the car from Guadalajara to Las Vegas and then to Los Angeles and after driving around there for nearly a week, the wheels on the rear were more dirty than the fronts.

Aw really? They sound great, ill be looking into them now :)

The brake dust on the fronts is just unbearable.

Has anyone fitted the EBC Redstuff pads yet? Do they squeal?

Carbotech bobcats are what you want. they can make any design needed and if you track, their track pads are compatible with the bobcats so no need to rebed

Ceramic pads are the future. As OP states, virtually dust free resulting in cleaner wheels.

A few people make 'em, with a few OEMs taking them up now too.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Follow my link above, I got this from EBC themselves

Reactions: veeeight
Most OEMs have not taken these up yet as performance is not yet on a par with std pads. The tech is still in its early days.

Interesting thread, whereas I'm always interested in keeping the car cleaner for longer I'd not want to sacrifice performance for the sake of cleaner front wheel where the rest of the car will most likely be dirty anyways.

Hmmm - seems potentially a bit of hassle and cost to get rid of some brake dust.

I have found with the standard S3 wheels that they are actually very easy to keep fairly clean with a few layers of decent sealant and Collinite. When they get a bit too dirty for my liking before a big clean, I just get the Karcher out and give them a quick blast. 95% of the brake dust comes off instantly.

Wipe down with a microfibre and all is good. Takes 10 minutes tops to give them a mid-week maintenance clean. Good prep is the key in my book.

Reactions: The Challinor
Hmmm - seems potentially a bit of hassle and cost to get rid of some brake dust.

I have found with the standard S3 wheels that they are actually very easy to keep fairly clean with a few layers of decent sealant and Collinite. When they get a bit too dirty for my liking before a big clean, I just get the Karcher out and give them a quick blast. 95% of the brake dust comes off instantly.

Wipe down with a microfibre and all is good. Takes 10 minutes tops to give them a mid-week maintenance clean. Good prep is the key in my book.

Agree with you all the way, preparation is key in detailing and pays dividends when cleaning time comes.

Most OEMs have not taken these up yet as performance is not yet on a par with std pads.

I believe the latest ones are approx 90% as effective compared with std. Fine for every day use, but not when you really need them.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would think that they are not as good as OE pads?

"Tested at the UK Motor Industries Research Association (MIRA) in witnessed tests early Redstuff reduced car stopping distance in tests by almost 50 feet from 100 MPH offering a staggering 30% brake improvement."

"they brake like an alligator right from cold (as good as Original pads or better) and just get better as they heat up."

"has been proven to stop a passenger car/sedan/sport compact/hot hatch 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph."

Reactions: Gazwould
I went round the Continental tyre test facility last month - part of this was a demo from the ATE guys. They produce most electronics and braking systems in cars today. It was these guys who told me the ceramic tech wasn't quite on a par with standard pads.

Perhaps redstuff are further down the line....

I put red stuff ceramic pads in my B6 S4 and it stopped that really well and its a heavy beast!! I will also be putting them on the S3 very soon!!

On a big front and rear brake kit I swapped Yellowstuff for Redstuff because I didn't like the Yellow's poor cold bite and high dust.

This was turned around with the Red's + drive them for half an hour on 60 mph roads then pulling up for traffic lights they get stronger with minimal effort going to the brake pedal.

On a big front and rear brake kit I swapped Yellowstuff for Redstuff because I didn't like the Yellow's poor cold bite and high dust.

This seems to be the biggest concern on cars like Mercedes SLK, Ferrari etc. - the cold pedal feel.

Would you say the Redstuff doesn't have this concern?

Carbon ceramic brakes operate best in a high heat zone so are compromised lower down.

Redstuff has oe bite from cold.

Last edited:
This seems to be the biggest concern on cars like Mercedes SLK, Ferrari etc. - the cold pedal feel.

Would you say the Redstuff doesn't have this concern?

I can only go from my experience with these on my 8P S3.

I know it's all very individual when it comes to brakes,but I didn't get on with these at all.....in fact there was little if any improvement over the stock pads,although I know there are a number of people here who like them and get on fine with them.

I like good initial bite,and progressive improvement as the system heats up.....these just didn't cut it.

I guess I might have to try these out for myself !

I think the S3 8V brakes are over-servo'd from the factory, so maybe a slightly duller pedal might suit me :)

Carbon ceramic brakes operate best in a high heat zone so are comprised lower down.

Redstuff has oe bite from cold.

I know....I've used carbon and carbon metallic pads previously.

The point I was getting at was even when hot they weren't great.

The ones I use now for me anyway,are much better,but to be fair,are not perhaps what most would like.....which brings you back to personal likes/dislikes...!

I guess I might have to try these out for myself !

Not so far away veeeight... and I am/was a hands-on automotive design engineer...

However, with ALL the trials and tribulations experienced with the RS3, and please note that Audi provided a FREE upgrade to ALL RS3 and TTRS owners to include NEW: brake pads (directional), brake discs, brake calipers, tuned dampers, and software that was supposed to solve ALL complaints, which it didn't and some to my knowledge have had their original 47i6 upgraded pads and discs replaced a second time - hope you're still with me here as I've been banging on with this since February 2012 - I've again gone my own way and fitted REDSTUFF to my RS3, AND THEY are superb, so much better than either the original and/or 47i6 replacement Brembo/Audi pad (with Pagid friction material I might add).

Lots of history/data on the RS3 Forum:

M1000455

On the AUDI RS3 the REDSTUFF brake pads - front and rear - are superb, with short pedal, lots of bite, huge braking when pressing on (A5 from Cannock through Snowdonia to the far side of Anglesey (and back in the day) a couple of weeks ago just for lunch... and in an RS3!), and low dust: I'd totally recommend 'em for road use (as I know guys out there will be asking about track work...).

All said, as I was so enthused with REDSTUFF on my RS3 I put a set on our 2.0 TT TFSI, and once the initial bedding in phase was completed was not as enthusiastic as I'd hoped for (long pedal and low bite); RS3copilot being even less enthused, so off they came and I've refitted the standard Audi OEM pad.

So for an RS3 Id say 100%. For a TT, hmmm, I'm not so sure; but I may pop 'em in again later just to re-evaluate, if only to make sure it wasn't me!

Last edited:
Reactions: T-800 and veeeight
I can only go from my experience with these on my 8P S3.

I know it's all very individual when it comes to brakes,but I didn't get on with these at all.....in fact there was little if any improvement over the stock pads,although I know there are a number of people here who like them and get on fine with them.

I like good initial bite,and progressive improvement as the system heats up.....these just didn't cut it.

Hey Alex, how old was the brake fluid on your car at this time?

Brake fluid being hydroscopic then at 3-years old the brake fade and/or long/soft pedal may NOT be the brake pad...

Just a thought as this may well be the issue I have with fitting REDSTUFF to my TT; 4-years old and using original brake fluid...:think:

With my RS3, the brake fluid was changed last September with the 47i6 upgrade and the REDSTUFF is just sooo GOOD :thumbsup:

Full service on both cars next month with brake fluid change to the TT, I'll then drop the REDSTUFF back in and evaluate :yes:

PS: LOTS of friction materials available now but what suits the race track ain't necessarily any use on a TESCO car park, the RS3 proves that :racer:

Reactions: T-800
Hey Alex, how old was the brake fluid on your car at this time?

Brake fluid being hydroscopic then at 3-years old the brake fade and/or long/soft pedal may NOT be the brake pad...

Just a thought as this may well be the issue I have with fitting REDSTUFF to my TT; 4-years old and using original brake fluid...:think:

With my RS3, the brake fluid was changed last September with the 47i6 upgrade and the REDSTUFF is just sooo GOOD :thumbsup:

Full service on both cars next month with brake fluid change to the TT, I'll then drop the REDSTUFF back in and evaluate :yes:

PS: LOTS of friction materials available now but what suits the race track ain't necessarily any use on a TESCO car park, the RS3 proves that :racer:

The fluid was new.

I'd be interested to know how you get on,swapping them back,and seeing the differences.

FWIW,I use Mintex 1155 pads now.

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc