1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre console

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by 951, Mar 6, 2007.

1. 951

951 Member

Im going to fit the face lift console into my 98 car ,do i just need the main console or do i have to get all the switches etc as well ???
  2. DriveByShooters

DriveByShooters Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine

Need lot more than that dude, i work at a main stealer and i looked into doing that myself.
  3. 951

951 Member

What would i need then as its all still in the car so everthing is avalible ??
  4. DriveByShooters

DriveByShooters Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine

take the lot buddy, console, switches, drink holder, radio bracket, ashtray, side panels. try and keep some of the wires to the switches too. There is also a main mounting frame. Grab that too!
  5. 951

951 Member

If i get all the parts is it a straight forward fit ?? Also do you know what holds the roof rails on ie under the head lining ??
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Alegedly, you will also have problems with backlighting on the newer Aircon HU,at least thats what i have read on US forums
  7. 951

951 Member

Its starting to sound like more trouble than its worth, i only really wanted to fit the centre armrest anyway !!!
  8. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Oh and the hazard light does not work with the old loom.
  9. 951

951 Member

I dont think i will bother,im going to be busy fitting my new bumper/lights/roof rails etc so i think an armrest can wait !!!
  10. docurley

Arm rest dont need a console.
  11. 951

951 Member

So does the arm rest of the face lift car fit onto the pre facelift console ???
  12. docurley

Yes you just need to cut the hole.
  13. 951

951 Member

Great thats spot on and will save me lots of work !!
  14. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

As has already been said, the armrest was the same from 95 up until the B6 came out in 2001.............
    I retro-fitted an armrest to my pre-facelift '99 a few months ago and it was a doddle, just remove the plastic surround to the handbrake assembly and on the reverse there is even a factory-marked dotted-line so you know where to cut!
    All the mounting studs are already there on the central tunnel of the car, you just need a few nyloc nuts to fit the armrest!
    One of the best mods I've done,well worth the trouble IMHO.
  15. macattax

macattax Member

Yup armrest was a good mod and quite easy apart from the labourious cutting you have to do into the plastic.
    I found it easier to just take out the centre console and bring it indoors to do the job of cutting as its too cold to be outside these days.
  16. 951

951 Member

Thanks guys,if i have time i will go and get the arm rest off the car tomorrow and the roof rails if i have time !!
  17. 951

951 Member

Just picked up my chrome roof rails,cargo net,floor mats and i got the arm rest complete with the back half of the centre consol including everything that attached to it. Can i use the console or does it not match up to the front half on my car ???
  18. macattax

macattax Member

Have you got a haynes manual?
    Basically you will have to pull out the rear ashtray and undo some bolts that are found underneath.
    Remove the vag connector .
    Then remove the handbrake cover (pull hand brake up tight) then carefully lift from the back careful not to break the clips , by raising the back the clips at the front should come loose then you pull back sligtly to release front.
    Then just slip console out over the handbrake then your done.
    You can now test to see if the new "console" fits if it does then happy days! If not then remove the parts you need and fit them to your own console.
    A haynes manual would be helpful all the same.
    Good luck with it!
  19. 951

951 Member

I dont pick up the car till saturday but i will try it then,i got everything with the console inc the handbrakes covers,i compared the later console that i got from the y reg car with a p reg car and it looked the same fit to me,would be nice if it fitted as its a better looking console !!!
  20. 951

951 Member

The face lift rear console/arm rest fits straight on to the early front console apart from a very small gap on the o/s just above where it bolts in but unless you have your seat right back you cant tell anyway. tokk about 15 mins to change and is a vast inprovement over the early one,and i even found 30p under the old console !!!