Central locking problems

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
2 weeks ago i bought my first Audi..a 1998 1.8 ts. The central locking only works by manually putting the key in the lock, not on the key. The fella who i bought it off said it needs a new pump that goes in the boot behind the o/s rear light and the part number needs to end in G??

Does that sound right to you guys and where could i get one from on a budget?!.. all my money is being saved up for baby number 2, other half wants a new cot... i want coilovers. Life is not fair!
:blownose:
cheers chaps

I would have thought that if the central locking works with the key in the lock the pump would be ok. Does it work ok using the button inside the car on the driver door?

yeah that works fine too. Is there any way of testing it? I've been told a new one retails at over £100 which i'd like to avoid if possible

AAHH did he say he had perhaps changed the pump and it wasnt compat with the keys hence the remote not working. Or has the system lost the keys perhaps?

Yeah i think he said he'd changed the pump or swapped it with the one in his quattro he'd just bought.
Sorry got a brain like a sieve!

in which case you will need a "g" or bove for it to work, they can be expensive so good luck. Unless one of the guys breaking theirs on here happens to have one

hi floyd, is it my old car, black 1.8ts ? hope your pleased with it? left factory with 'h' lettered non remote pump, but you can use 'g' pump as a straight swap to convert as youve got the correct remote fob, but range is very poor.
if you buy one dont forget you can sell 'h' one and probably get fair bit of your money back

Hello mate yeah it is.. how strange! The car is brilliant, really really pleased with it. Hows the quattro going?

glad your happy with it, i was, just couldnt resist buying the quattro, lots of little cosmetic bits still to sort, would help if i stuck to fixing one thing at a time, but goes well, just needs a remap

hi, www.more-bhp.com car was quicker than my new one so will be getting them round again, they were on ebay , but just down the road from me, no receipt as never declared to insurance, but if you look through my ebay feedback youll see it